Computer Illiterate Person wants sub $1k gamer for grandson.

Riktoven

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hi all, I am not sure if this is the place to post my questions or not.

I am old, I don't use computers except to read web pages. My grandson is leaving for college next summer, and I'm going to get him a computer to take with him for Christmas. I'm not stupid, I know it will be mostly for games, and I'd like the boy to enjoy it...and it has to last him until he's done with college.

I don't know anything about computers, but most of the reading I've done here in the last couple of hours suggests two things:

1. It's not that hard to build it myself (a screwdriver is the only required tool?).
2. Knowing what to pick is VERY complicated.

So I have a few questions:

1.) Is it worth building a PC for the boy myself or should I just buy one from Dell or another retailer given that I have never even seen the insides of a computer?

2.) If I would be better off buying a complete computer, what should I be looking for in my price range and what retailer should I buy from? I understand what the various computer components are, but it is going to take me weeks of reading this site to understand performance vs. price issues.

3.) If I build it myself (I can read, and I'm retired so I have time; but I want the boy to enjoy his expensive gift so if it's a trick an old dog can't learn please say so) what do I do with the money? I don't want to waste money on a fancy case...unless the case actually DOES somthing (I haven't read about cases yet).

What components do I need to focus the money on so that he will have a good system that he can upgrade as necessary? CPU and Motherboard seem to be what everyone is making the biggest deal about. I'm sure the video card is important, but wow, what a price range...I have no idea what these technical specs mean.

So, if you have patience to help out an ancient technologically retarded guy get a smart young man a cool Christmas present, your input would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance Smart People

Echonic

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
1) yes because your save some money and getter betting quality parts
3) its not really that hard its more intimidating then anything its more like i big puzzle or model
for gaming you should focus your money into the graphics card and cpu dont go over 2gb of ram because its more then you really need. i built my rig for about $1500 and i think its pretty decent

good luck and i am sure he will appreciate it

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
1. Hmm...that really depends. It really isn't that hard to build a computer, but it might be hard for a for less computer-literate people. I mean, my own grandfather can't even connect to the internet. On that note, I will offer you a hybrid solution.

A cross between building it yourself and buying a pre-configured system if you will. For example, the nice people at NCIX.com or NCIXUS.com(for customers in the US will build a systems according to your specifications for ~$25.00

The main things that you would want to concentrate in a gaming build is the CPU and GPU.

Here is what I suggest:
Mobo- P35 DS3L = ~90
CPU- Intel C2D E6750 = ~190
PSU- Corsair 520VX = ~80
GPU- 8800GT 512MB = ~260
HDD- A wide variety of sizes are available. (I.E. 320GB = ~80
Case- Really a personal choice. I tend to save money here on budget builds. = Wide variety of prices.
Optical drive: DVDrw, etc. = ~30
Ram: I'd probably get 2GB for now. = ~50 <---- Corsair is a good brand
Then you have things like a monitor, and an operating system...which will significantly add to your cost. With my build, you might be a bit over when you add the os and monitor. I would maybe look into a slightly slower processor.

Hope I helped,
-Adam

What a wonderful idea!! aadamszc gave you a good list of reasonable parts. I might add that the Antec Solo would be a nice quality quiet case. Not high on bling, though.

I would suggest that you make this a joint project with your grandson.
You could set a budget, and the two of you could decide on the parts.
You will get better value for the dollar vs. prebuilt.
He will know what is in it, and not be afraid to open it up if the need should arise.
There is high educational value in the project.

The bonding value...priceless!

---good luck---

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Mobo=Motherboard
CPU=Central Processing unit or Processor
PSU=Power Supply Unit
GPU=Graphics card.
HDD= Hard Drive

I thought it might help to know some of the acronyms...I'm sure if you look at some of the stickies in these forums, you should be able to learn a lot in a short amount of time.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Well Riktoven,

Here's what I would suggest. Look around through this section for a bit. There are a bazillion threads on gaming systems that you could use for reference. Find one that appears to fit your budget and then build a wish list on a site like Newegg with the same or similar components. Then post the link and we'll give you suggestions from there.

Also, if your grandson knows about putting the system together, then you could wrap up all the parts and then the two of you could put it together Christmas morning.

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
As far as cases go I would suggest the cooler master CM690. It is one of the best cases in the $50-60 range and will provide excellent cooling. (With cases you can go cheaper, but you are much more likely to run into problems. Also since this case is so cool you won't have to worry about heat problems. Heat can drastically shorten the life of components.)

What aadamszc sugested would make an excellent build in this price range. Also as far as the operating system goes you should check with whatever college he is going to and see if you can get it for a discount. (Some colleges sell Vista and XP for $10 instead of the normal $100.)

Another thing is how responsible is your grandson? Is he likely to do something that might break the computer? (I.E spilling liquid on it or something like that) If so you might want to go with prebuilt just because of warranties. The only problem with prebuilt is it won't have a good graphics card for gaming. (You should be able to add one yourself without voiding the warranty.)

Riktoven

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks for your help, especially aadamszc. That was fast.

Where would I go for instructions on how to put the components together? The pictures I'm looking at would suggest that all I have to do is plug or screw in boards, plug in a chip and a few cables and that's it. Is there more to it than that, because if that's it why would anyone buy from a retailer?

Also, does the case matter at all? Better air flow or whatnot? How do I know all the components I buy will fit in it?

Thanks.

Riktoven

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks doghills for the case info and the OS suggestion.

I would just ask him, but it's supposed to be a surprise.

Riktoven

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Alright guys, I have been pricing components (mainly the ones you suggested) on NewEgg.com, and the prices are too high.

Rather than skimp on the CPU, I think I'm going to skimp on the GPU since I don't want him enjoying video games TOO much.

How would this do?
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814125041

His current computer is 5 years old, so it can't be too bad can it? He plays those WWII shooter games.

I am reading about SLI...does that mean that if he wants to later on he can buy a second GeForce 7300GS and have them working together for double the power?

I'm going to have to sacrifice on somthing to cover shipping and the OS and monitor to stay under $1k.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
All good advice. Just a thought. The first thing I thought of when reading "going to college" was a laptop. Most useful in college environment, would up the ante a little though and not the preferred gaming machine.

There should be a number of pictorial tutorials on the internet on how to build a computer. Google should find them for you. There was also a nice thread on this forum which included photos of a dad and his kids(10,7) researching and building a computer.
For the case and motherboard you select, go to the manufacturer's web site, and download the instruction manual. If it seems reasonable, then you are good to go.

You are probably looking at a mid-tower ATX case. Not huge, Not tiny. A case has to hold your parts, and have adequate ventilation. After that, it is mostly style. Some cases have front doors, but I find them to be a pain. Doors can help to keep it quiet.
The better cases will have a fan or two in front to take in air, and a fan at the rear, and perhaps on top to exhale heated air. If it uses larger 120mm fans, it will be quieter.
Some people like to show off the case, and like side windows and led lights on the parts. This is somewhat like customizing a car, gaudy, but useless(to me). Most components are standard, so fit is not a problem with any of the parts that have been mentioned so far.

How computer savvy is your grandson? Is it possible that he has some definite ideas, or will he be happy with anything?

The key part for gaming is the video card. The recently announced 8800GT at $250-$300 is a real winner. Not the very highest end, but close, and should be good for as long as anything.
The most expensive single part should probably be the monitor. A good one in a larger size will still be useful for years. Get the best one you feel comfortable paying for.

The video card you posted is not very good for games; your grandson will probably dump it and get something better. $75 is probably the least you should plan on. Read here for more: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/06/best_graphics_card/page2.html
SLI is a poor option unless the single fastest vga card available is not enough. It is not a good upgrade option.

If grandson is already a pc user, and plays games, then I really think you need to consult with him and make a plan. Perhaps the surprise should be a note in the Christmas stocking offering to fund $xxx worth.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Wish I had time to write a more detailed reply, I just wanted to quickly second what aadamszc said about the e-retailer NCIX: you can use the "PC Builder" section of their website and they will take all the parts you select and build them for a fair fee ($25-50). This also includes stress-testing the memory and other components to make sure they work as they're suppose to. Pretty much any store location will build a computer for you for a price, but I think NCIX is one of the only major and reputable online sites that will do it and then ship it to you built.

EDIT: Actually, I really like geofelt's idea because it's practical in that it lets your grandson pick what works best for his needs, and that it maintains the element of surprise :) Perhaps even a gift certificate worth $x could be used, pretty sure NCIX and Newegg offer those.

Good luck!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah the card u mentioned the 7300gs, not such a good idea. it would barely run games if at all. as for your question on SLI, no you don't get double performance. though it does get as good as 1.8x (best case scenrio, and most cases are not in this catagory) for high resolution monitors. pixal pitches like 1600x1200, 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 aka 1080P hi-def standard. so your monitor plays a huge role on whether or not you even want/need to consider sli. i suggest a monitor with a slightly lower resolution. ideally like 1680x1050. its pretty hi-res, wide screen but just shy of really needing sli. of course you can go lower than that as well but any higher SLI might come up. as far as the gaming card...8800gt is a really solid choice price/proframance wise.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
one more note to consider on the monitor. though it might cause a bit more a LCD TV is a great choice. gives him a TV and a monitor in one. also if you get him a 720P scan lcd tv (1366x768 typically) SLI is again a none issue and it still looks good.

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Check out the best graphics cards for the money section that THG does every month. Pick a x1950 Pro or 7900 GS and it will do wonders for for him if your on a budget, or get the 8800GT like eveyrone else says. The gift cards and letting him pick it out are also great ideas. Good luck!

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Yes a 1950 pro or xt or 8800 gt will probably give you the best bang for the buck.The 6750 seems to be a great processor.A good power supply is a must so really do some homework as it seems a lot of people like to buy the cheapest junk to power(or not)thier new expensive components.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Actually...I have had some time to think and I believe that new ATI cards will be great for a build like yours. They currently are not out right now, but they are planned for release on/around Nov. 19.

Rumor has it that they won't preform bad, but not on par with the 8800GT/GTX/Ultra. However, since there is a performance gap, these should be priced around $150-$250. The least expensive ones being a little worse than the more expensive ones. You would probably like to wait and see some benchmarks before blindly going out and buying one of these cards, but I imagine the ~$150 version of the HD3800 will be good for you.

Since you probably won't be building for a while, I would wait and see what ATI has to offer GPU-wise.

On that same note, black friday/cyber monday is coming up along with the release of various new things. Combined, these things may lead to a price reduction which would help you fit into your sub-$1000 budget.

I can't really see anywhere else where you may be able to cut the price. =\

Also, like everyone else said -- I would not mess with the SLI. I don't really think you need it. It would just be an added expense.

Hope I Helped,
-Adam

colinger

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I went on newegg.com and compiled a list of possible parts - $1,167.87 before rebate, including tax (for California) and shipping. The mail in rebates would be about $115, so the overall cost is very close to what you wanted to pay.

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115031
Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131055
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144
Hard drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136161
DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057
Case/power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062
Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116075
Keyboard/mouse - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126011
Operating system - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116202

The one component I am not so sure about is the video card. You should probably take aadamszc's advice (above).
Other people seemed to have good suggestions, but they failed to take into account the price constraint when they recommended systems that may end up costing $1200 - $1400

bigbeef2604

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Riktoven, Please mention if you are also planning on buying a monitor. That way we will be able to help you choose parts more accurately.

That's great that you're doing this for him. Great timing for a new computer.

Very good advice so far.

Cut the CPU down to E2160 if you have to reduce costs.

Get the cheapest case possible.

Some Antec cases come with decent PSUs at good prices. You could get one of those instead of the Corsair PSU.

Cut the video card if you must, but do that only as a last resort, not first. Cuts there will hurt more than anywhere else.

I'd let the grandson build this thing. It's a useful skill and he might use it again to help friends (and impress girls :) )

Also, maybe he has some savings he can contribute. Let's say the build aadamszc suggested costs $1200 and you only have $1000. Let the grandson contribute $200. He'll end up with a much better PC that way. Besides, I read somewhere that the average guy gains 15 pounds during the first year in college. Taking $200 out of his pizza budget is a good thing too. :)

I can recommend an excellent book on building PCs, it even comes with videos.
http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-PCs-18th/dp/0789736977
I expect you can borrow the 17th edition from the nearest public library too. That will also be fine, since you already have a list of parts from this thread.

Good luck!!!

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
One option to consider is check out "Joes Computers" - The little hole in the wall close to where you live, typically for a fairly modest fee they will assemble your components.

Also DON"T BUY SOFTWARE!

Most universities are part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance where you can get a copy of an Operating system, word, office, etc for (almost) nothing. - send him to school with the machine assembled, and save $hundred using academic software.

I priced this out, comes to about $1000 or so - this is a "sane" build, you can argue components up or down here and there, but for $1000 you could do a lot worse.

This system is a little weak as a gamer, but is upgradable into the future, and uses parts I trust.

LG L2000C-BF 20.1IN Black 8MS 1600X1200 800:1 300CDM Height Adjust Pivot Swivel VGA DVI-D Monitor

$315.36

Sapphire Radeon HD2600PRO 512MB DDR2 PCI-E Dual DVI-I TV Out Video Card

$93.98

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Atx LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 Sata Raid Sound Gblan Motherboard

$136.05

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.4GHZ 800FSB 2MB Retail

$145.85

Ocz Stealthxstream 600W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active Pfc Atx Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

$78.65

Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS Ncq Hard Drive Oem 3YR Mfr Warranty

$95.88

LG GSA-H62L Black SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X Lightscribe OEM DVD Writer W/ SW

$37.80

Mitsumi FA404M-BK 7-IN-1 Floppy Drive & Flash Reader CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS Black

$23.76

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB 2X512MB PC6400 DDR2-800 Cl 5-5-5-18 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

$54.99

Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS

$52.38