My cd rom on my Toshiba satellite is showing an error code 39 in the device manager, I have tried deleting and reinstalling the drive but the error is still there.
I have also checked the registry and can find no problems listed in the right hand column all it shows is no value set.
I have tried a registry cleaner and all the usual stuff like restore..
The drive was working till I uninstalled a lot of stuff from the laptop my friend had put on when she had it, I didn't need the programs that where installed but now the drive will not work any tips as to what to do next
I have done several restores prior to getting a new csmos battery and nothing worked, I had a new csmos battery fitted last week and after resetting the time and date can not restore back to an earlier date
I have found this problem due to registry settings. That is why I suggested the system restore. You can manually perform the changes that I believe will solve your problem by following the instructions below (which I found on the web):
1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer
8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.