P5K-E WiFI Onbaord Sound

m1ddy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Me again :)

I have a P5K-E mobo and am using (or trying to use) the onboard sound as I cannot afford an X-Fi atm.

The problem is this. The front panel connectors from my Antec 900 have two cables running from the output/mic inputs. These are labelled AC97 and HD Audio. The mobo can only accomodate one of these connectors. I orginally had the AC97 one plugged in. The headset (Sennheiser 165) worked fine but the mic did not.

Next I installed the Vista64 drivers from Asus's website. (Can't remember what the app is called it gave me, think it was Soundmax something). I then rebooted and I had no sound. I tried plugging the headphone / mic in to the rear inputs on the mobo (6 of them, I used the green/pink ones). A dialog box popped up asking me what I had just plugged into the green port and I selected headphones. It then told me I had plugged them in the wrong input (sigh). So now I cannot get sound from either the front inputs on the case or the rear ones on the mobo.

So, off comes the side of the case. I plug in the HD Audio from the front pannel in to the mobo instead of the AC97. Tadaaaaa. I have sound and mic using the front pannel inputs. BUT my problem is this.....

When using Teamspeak (I prefer vent but have no option atm) everyone says they get feedback when I talk. This is eliminated by turning off the mic boost. Everyone now moans I am too quiet despite turning the gain all the way up. Audio from movies / music etc isn't especially loud either, even with windows volume and application volume all the way up.

Is anyone else having similer problems or am I just being too expectent of an onbaord sound device.

Thanks guys

Jon

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I can't really help you right now : my vid card is in RMA so I can't test on my P5KE but I did have a similar problem. First I had to set the front audio panel to AC'97 in the BIOS (And also plug the corresponding connector on the mobo). I dled the lastest drivers (For XP tho so I can't help you out on Vista). After that just reboot and check in SoundMax Panel if " independent front jack" is enabled. If so just disable it.