System upgrade questions

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
My most intense applications I use are games, so that is my build guide. I have no desire for sli. I'm not opposed to OC'ing (my E4300 is running at 3 right now), would prefer to keep it minor.

My current build is as follows:

MB Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mod 2
Proc E4300 rev 2
Mem Kingston 2GB DDR2 667
Case Antec P180B
PS GameXStream 600W
Cooling - Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
GPU - GeForce 7900GS
Monitor - LG L204WT 20" max res 1680x1050
running XP SP2 Home

Sometime in 1st qtr 08, I want to upgrade w/:

Q6600 G0 (2nd choice E6850)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
8800GT 512MB (probably XFX)
Mem ???

Now for my questions.

1. I originally was looking at the E6850, but after some looking found the quad Q6600 could be easily oc'd to 3 GHz. I don't have a need for quad but I plan on keeping this system for awhile and who knows what I'll need down the line. No real question, just requesting comments. I see most posts recommend the 6600 but there are those logical folks who lean to the dual core.

2. I think I should upgrade mem to 800, but again, oc'ing to 3GHz is only going to run the mem at 667 anyway. I do think a latency of 4 would be nice. Patriot has a good rebate going on for 2Gig DDR2 800, maybe I should pick that up now. Seems to have pretty good reviews, anyone know if it's compatable with the 6600? Also, I realize XP will only see around 3.3 gig or so max, but I don't like mixing ram and thinking of getting 4meg. Again, comments?

3. I'm thinking my 600w PSU and cooler should handle these upgrades. Am I right?

4. The MB selection is selected kinda because it seems pretty popular, good reviews, good oc'er, and I'm familiar with gigabyte.

I've got an older gateway that I might try to see if I can fit the 965P board in. I understand Gateway cases are not so standard so there might be a challenge there. I'm hoping some of my upgrade components will price drop some after the Nehalem is released. I think that covers it. Any answers, comments and or suggestions most welcome. OK, even criticism.

Bill

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
1. Get the Q6600 if you are staying with this for a while then theres a little more futureproof than the duals are now... and once OCed to 3ghz like you say you will do, it will compete if not beat all the dual cores out there.
2.im assuming by this you mean you want 4gb and you dont want to mix 4 sticks of different stuff (understandably so). The best thing to go would be a 2x2gb in this case. So far ive only found 2 modules that are currently 2x2gb 800mhz and CAS 4 these are Geil and Mushkin, all others seem to be CAS 5, however, if you running at 1:1 with CPU at a 3ghz OC with say a CAS5 set you maybe able to lower the timings more as its not running at 800. In which case id suggest Crucial, OCZ or Patriot
3.Yes it will the GameXstream is a nice PSU no issues there.
4.Why are you upgrading the Mobo at all? your current board with F8 version bios will run a Q6600 without issue. Then you are also already familiar with it as well as the bios setup (not that the chosen mobo will be much different in BIOS). Save some money here dude no mobo required. Make sure you flash bios to F8 and reset to factory defaults before changing CPU though. This will also eliminate the need to remove your current mainboard less work and cheaper

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Chookman:
Thanks for the comments. Did you recommend the 2x2gb to leave room for an eventual 8 meg total?

I'm ashamed to say, I don't have a good reason for including the MB in the upgrade. My only thought was to match the quad w/ 35 board. Good catch.

I'll probably have to quit procrastinating on lapping w/ the quad. Prime 95 load is 63° now (+ or - depending on ambient).

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I recommended it becuase one you can add 8gb total easier for upgrades (as you said you were keeping the machine for a while.) and also OCing like you say 2 sticks is generally more stable than 4 as with 4 you have to get them all running the same.