Help with home network

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
i need help with my home network, we are moving and we can no longer get dsl where we are moving, so we called quest and they sent us a version broadband usb card, and said that if we plug it into a router with a usb port, we will be able to get internet just like we would with a land line... i dont think they are right. but i dont know for sure.
and another question, my dad has to use the internet for his work, and it needs to be fast... what would be the best router, dual band would be great, that wouldn't cost him $200??
thanks in advance

G

I suspect that the Broadband USB Card you mention is a mobile phone type broadband dongle. This would probably be a very expensive way to access the internet compared to ADSL or Cable.

I would ask some neighbours what they do for internet.

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
the neighbors all have cable, but see, we live at the end of the street, with a 1/4 mile drive way, and theres no cable line :( so it would cost an arm and a leg to have them run a cable up there... and we cant use satellite because its not secure enough for my dads work... and i dont know much about ADSL, and if we could even get it... and if its fast enough...
and the USB card idea is out the window, like you said, its way to expensive... and the data limits are lame and way to small... 5gb wouldnt last a day if my dad was on call...

G

If you have a phone (on landline) you can get ADSL -- max speed is usually 16mb -- not as fast as cable but it's what most of us use.

G

I live in the UK and as well as the major phone provider (British Telecom) there are at least five really large alternative ADSL internet providers and perhaps 50 smaller ones. Most use the British Telecom wired network but offer a wide variety of prices and speeds.

Suggest you start by enquiring about packages from your phone service provider -- and then Google for alternatives that operate in your area.

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I have Quest, and they say they dont offer DSL where we are moving, i'll ask them about ADSL, and i'll google service in my area.
thanks..

G

ADSL is (essentially) DSL. But if you have landline phone, you may be able to persuade someone else to provide internet -- the problem in your area may be distance from the exchange, which is an issue with ADSL.

You might have to wait for Cable service to be extended or go with Cell Phone type internet.