Sign in with
Your question

in 10 years of gaming i never saw this before

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2007 12:01:33 AM

hello
i just bought a new baby
its a q6600 with 2x1gb ram pc 800 and an ati hd 2600xt, running on asus p5k motherboard
i kept my old ata 200gb hardisk

so i got home and thought this would be a good time to try the new vista. aight, i install it, drivers, apps etc then i start instaling games
after trying to install different games, the pc freezes all the time during the installation
this generally happens while copying larger game files, above 1gb or so, and it freezes at different files, during setup.
ok so its not my dvd-rom (since this happens even if i copy the disk to my hardrive and install the game from there) and my partitions are ntfs
i thought its vista, so i format c: and gone back to xp
xp runs fine until i try to... install games

i currently have on pc about 20 games, new releases, and i had to reinstall each one about 3 to 10 times until the installation finally worked to the end
i haven't got a single freeze or problem in-game and they are running fine (if i manage to install them that is Very Happy )

i "tested" this with 2 different version of vista and 2 different xp's and always had the same problem. i cant install games.
i tried a lot of antivirus/antispyware softwares and each time they found nothing
i tried installing them with no software at all, just with the drivers
i tried running just with 1gb ram, then with the other ram
i tested the hardisk on my old pc and i don't get these kind of freezes there
i dont know how to determine the problem, i'm sorry for my english and kindly ask for your help =\

More about : years gaming

November 7, 2007 12:28:17 AM

what is your mobo? I know my last build which was a 965 chipset had the same problem from because of these jmicron raid drivers. If you have these Jmicron drivers built into your mobo try manually installing the driver update, you have to manually do it though not use auto install.
November 7, 2007 12:32:31 AM

same problem? are you sure?:) 
anyway, i have the Jmicron built into my mobo and im loking for drivers right now
thank you for reply!
Related resources
November 7, 2007 12:41:53 AM

How did you test your hard drive when it was in the old box? You might want to retest in the new box - you could have damaged the drive during the installation process or it may be on its way out...just a thought...good luck!
November 7, 2007 1:15:48 AM

Did you have any hard drive problems on your old rig at all? Anything similar to this? You might want to run Memtest just to be safe...It could be a memory issue if the hard drive has never done this before. The fact that it only freezes while installing is odd....You can play games for long durations with no problems what so ever?

But yea...Give memtest a go and see if your sticks are faulty. If they aren't post back and I'll try to think up of some other possibilities.
November 7, 2007 1:19:58 AM

Vikerness said:

ok so its not my dvd-rom (since this happens even if i copy the disk to my hardrive and install the game from there) and my partitions are ntfs

Actually, by doing this, you did not eliminate the DVD drive from the equation. If the DVD drive did not copy the files correctly to the HDD, then even if you install from the HDD, the data is still corrupt. To be absolutely sure the DVD drive is not the problem, swap it out with a known good DVD drive. If you do not have another, borrow one from a friend. While it may not be a bad idea to update drivers, you need to eliminate all possible problem sources so that you are not creating more work than necessary.

November 7, 2007 1:44:03 AM

i tried memtest and game-instaling-test on each memory stick separatly and still nothing. i mounted my hardrive in my old pc and installed several games there with no problem, wich should mean the hardrive and the dvd-rom are both working.
yes i can play anything for hours with no freeze or crash, indeed odd:) 

the thing is i never thought about updating those jmicron drivers so it seems those were the ones causing the odd problem
(im running the latest chip drivers and the latest bios btw, forgot to mention)
but i noticed if i install them manually like he suggested, well the driver gets updated to R1.17.28 like it should, but the pc still crashes (it just did while instaling Armed Assault :)  )
and if im running setup they dont get updated, the driver version after restart being 1.0.0.0, but now it SEEMS to be working
so atm im instaling more, to see what happens
im not even sure if my current 1.0.0.0 jmicron driver was added now, as off install, or they cammed with windows.
if anyone can confirm .. please do..
November 7, 2007 2:11:27 AM

Vikerness said:
i tried memtest and game-instaling-test on each memory stick separatly and still nothing. i mounted my hardrive in my old pc and installed several games there with no problem, wich should mean the hardrive and the dvd-rom are both working.
yes i can play anything for hours with no freeze or crash, indeed odd:) 

That could be a hard drive with bad sectors. Nothing will be wrong until you try to read or write to those few(maybe even one) bad sectors. You could fill your hard drive to 99% and have no problems, then delete everything and have problems on the very next file copy. It's all about that 1 sector(or sectors) that are bad. If you hit them the hard drive will stop to try to fix it. Check out your hard drive with a program like spinrite.
November 7, 2007 2:22:15 AM

Odd indeed.

Id DITCH that ata drive tho.
With the price of HDD's atm, get a sata, really. May solve ur probs.
November 7, 2007 2:29:53 AM

Vikerness said:

and if im running setup they dont get updated, the driver version after restart being 1.0.0.0, but now it SEEMS to be working
so atm im instaling more, to see what happens
im not even sure if my current 1.0.0.0 jmicron driver was added now, as off install, or they cammed with windows.
if anyone can confirm .. please do..

quoting a stupid man right now =/
i knew i was missing something, else i wouldnt post it
ok so it seems like windows didnt cammed with a working jmicron driver for me and i never had the ideea to install jmicron
installing jmicron manually didnt worked but running a nice and easy setup of the drivers fixed my problem, although its still says driver version 1.0.0.0 and not R1.17.28
thank you all for posting
November 7, 2007 3:49:09 AM

Windows has its own drivers for the Jmicron controller, use those. I have heard lots of people having problems with using the Jmicron controllers when using a non-SATA HDD. If you were to use the SouthBridge controller for your HDD your problems would most likely vanish, but for that you'll need a SATA HDD.
November 7, 2007 4:05:09 AM

might be your ram because i remember when i made my computer it would crash when i installed windows until i took 1 stick out( which happened to be defective)
November 7, 2007 5:13:57 AM

systemlord said:
I have heard lots of people having problems with using the Jmicron controllers when using a non-SATA HDD. If you were to use the SouthBridge controller for your HDD your problems would most likely vanish, but for that you'll need a SATA HDD.

well it seems ok now, anyway, if anything else ever occurs i might just take mrmez advice and buy a dam' sata one ;) 
November 7, 2007 5:40:18 AM

Vike, i think it's u'r vista. have u tried windows update, is u'r vista updated?
!