Rogue AV ads in oovoo

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Oh man this oovoo has me so hot right now.

If you dont know what oovoo is,basically its an all in one confrence call/multi chat application kinda like skype and it has ads in the free version.Unfortunately i just discovered it seems to have a security hole with those ads.

If youve read one of my posts you may know ive put alot of effort into my pc's security,which is why im a little PO`ed that i got a popup/ad from one of those rouge antivirus telling me my pc is infected.This popup/ad originated from within oovoo's little ad box.Instead of displaying an ad it was an entire web page showing this "scanner" which i could move around on using the scroll bars.

I didnt get a good chance to look at the page since i almost immediately disconnected from the internet and closed oovoo,which closed the chat window that had the "scanner" page in the ad box.I did save a screenshot of the pop up dialogue,heres what it said

Warning!
Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware programs presence.Your system requires immediate antiviruses check!System Security will perform a quick and free online checking of your PC for viruses and worms.

Can anybody tell me about any experiences with this?Any advice?
Im running a scan with malwarebytes in safe mode now,so far it hasnt found anything.

And yes,i already gave the oovoo team an earful.They should be reading it shortly.

FYI,i have:
Avast home edition
PC Tools Threat Fire,on medium high sensitivity(4)
Malwarebytes
Zone Alarm Firewall
All are up to date as of a few hours ago

Solution
Also run SuperAntiSpyware, and if you still have it, run the RootKit Scanner at the Trend Micro site.

Get rid of oovoo, if security is important.

TRENDING THREADS