Virus: xcechinu.dll?? Symantec Anti Virus Picked this guy up...

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
There is little to no information on this little guy, but it looks like xcechinu.dll is a Virus, here is the info that Symantec gave me:

VIRUS NOTIFICATION
Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Threat Found!
Threat: Downloader
File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\xcechinu.dll
Computer: STONEHOME
User: XXXXXXXXXXX(Its My User :) )
Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied
Date found: Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:34:28 PM

Then it just gives a bunch of pages on how it failed in removing it.

I have scanned with:
1.) Symantec AntiVirus
2.) Spyware Doctor - Came up with NOTHING
3.) Malwarebyte's - Came up with NOTHING
4.) Ad-Aware - Came up with NOTHING
5.) Windows Search - Came up with C:\WINDOWS\system32\xcechinu.dll

Since its a DLL file im scared to delete it...

I have no clue whether if this is legitimate or not, but I cant remove it with anything that i have at the moment. ANY advice would help.

Thanks Ahead :bounce:

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

It's not a system file, but part of a piece of malware, and you did no harm. But that doesn't mean you don't have other problems caused by the virus. Follow aford's directions now.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
If your really afraid to delete the file completely, startup in Safe Mode as aford10 says, and rename the file instead of deleting it. Then you can restart in normal mode and if everything appears to be working properly you can then delete the renamed file.

Don't worry... be happy!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Download and run Combofix from www.bleepingcomputer.com (if anyone knows of another site to quote that is legit please let me know)

Turn off your antivirus when Combo fix warns you that it is running and install the Microsoft REcovery Console if Combofix recommends it. This is a great utility for crippling infections so that malwarebytes, superantispyware, and antivirus programs can come in and clean up behind it.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Strange. I've never exprienced that before and I've used it over a dozen times a day for a long time now in my shop Did it error out? What was the filename and at what point did this occur? Was the system file error right away or did it come after, say, the update stage etc?