kerrgirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
im looking very hard at a computer from circuit city/best buy.
im not able to build my own, and im pretty clueless about the graphics and video cards.

im gonna get the hp 8200. (theres an 'n' in there too, just not sure where)

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
melissa

At Circuitcity.com, I found this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center-Desktop-PC-M8200N/sem/rpsm/oid/192790/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#prodspecs
HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop PC
Model #: HP M8200N
...for $820.
If you (or the intended recipient) is a gamer, do not buy this machine. According to the specs, it has nVidia 6150SE integrated graphics, and NO PCIE slot available for a later upgrade.
As a media center PC, it also falls short for not having DVI output.
As a business-class PC, the O/S (Vista Home Premium) isn't the best choice, although otherwise its performance in business apps should be outstanding.

So, essentially, unless your needs are very specific and limited, this machine is a poor choice, even at what appears to be a decent price.

kerrgirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
if i were to build, what would you suggest???
were not big gamers, but its not out of the question. im looking for good 'bang for my buck', a good processor, but doesnt need to be to absolute top, and to be expandable for the future.
one of the biggest reasons i was looking at it was the expandable to 8 gb of ram.
i dont want to NEED a new computer in a year.

i was thinking id like to try amd this time, i wanna keep them in business.

plus, the whole x86/64.

how much would it cost? good video and graphics too.

melissa

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
There are decent values at CC/BB.

What is the purpose of the computer?

Doing a paper for school, keeping family photos & videos, or maybe editing those photos & videos? Playing online poker or chess, or maybe you like Crysis?

Do you have a budget, an absolute not to exceed number, or just an keep it within a range number?

Are you willing (or able) to install your own RAM? Installing RAM is easy (in the opinion of myself and others), but some people just can not do anything electrical or mechanical. Installing your own RAM can allow you to keep costs under control while having a more powerful computer.

The same thing can be said for intalling your own Graphics card. Computer manufacturers often overcharge for the Graphics card and then charge a few $ to install the card.

I personally would buy a computer with the advice of us, and install my own RAM and Graphics Card (again with the advice of us). We will get you through the process, you will have fun, and save a few $ in the process.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Nice machine that COret suggested. Would suggest one of this PSUs. Or consider this case that comes with a PSU. Not the greatest PSU but will work, just got it for one of my g-kids
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147055

As too building, check out the on-line manual for the above Gigabyte board and see if you're comfortable with following the instructions. If you are, then you can build given building is pretty much following the mobo manual and taking your time. Even if you decide on a different board, the instructions are pretty much the same

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
ok, the idea of getting good bang for your buck, and going with AMD right now clashes, esp if you want it to last a few years and upgrade well, sallow your fanboi ways and get a C2D, 2GB and perhaps Gefore 8400, 8600 if you want a little more power other than that you cant go far wrong

kerrgirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
im open for suggestions.
i can do my own ram and hard drive, and hubby is an electrician, hes willing to build a tower, actually hed prefer it.
i would want atleast vista premium, i like the media center.
i have no problem with intel, i just was thinking of a change.
the graphics and video cards i have no idea about.

i want something upgradable. the idea of being able to go to 8 gb of ram is a good 1.
im getting familiar with vista, i just bought a laptop in the beginning of october, and its a c2d. really nice machine.i dont want to spend tons of cash. ill need a monitor too. i sold my previous desktop about 1.5 years ago, and now im regretting it.

melissa

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What is your budget for everything including monitor? Figure around $200, maybe a little less for a good 17" and round $275 give or take of a good 19" monitor. I don't think the HP jtt283 found for $820 included a monitor. As for Vista, Microsoft is coming out in a couple of months with SP1 to enhance performance, you may want to think about XP OEM at $90 given the current issues with Vista.

I'd check slickdeals and fatwallet for dell deals in the coming days. Yesterday, they had a desktop with 2 gigs of memory and 24 inch lcd for $649 with free shipping. On top of that, you got a free $100 dell giftcard. The 24 inch lcd is worth $400-500 easily. Building your own costs more. The first time is a pain, unless you have somone to guide you.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I really don't remember my first my build as being a pain, although it's been quite a while ago. There was definitely some anxiety, a fear factor, but it was also pretty exciting. Also, I didn't have anyone around that had done it before, in fact, really didn't have any friends that knew as much about computer as I did. Great feeling when it actually started up and worked. Probably best to approach your first build as an adventure. As for damaging parts, take your time and don't use a lot of force, everything pretty much just fits in one way. The most force you will have to use is locking down the HSF