Can I run those spec's by you again, please?

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi,
here's my situation. CompuTronic has been extremely helpful but I didn't explain my situation before.
I'm rebuilding my desktop and will use it mainly for M.S. FlightSimulator.
I travel full time in our motor home. Therefore space is a major issue for me and I have to go with a mid-size tower. Because of that the size and heat of the video card is important to me.
I plan on staying with WinXP, FS9 and DirectX9 for the time being. Would like to have the option later to upgrade to Vista, DirectX10 and FS10, if and when most of the kinks have been worked out.
I don't plan on overclocking because I have only a vague idea of how to do it, but might be brave enough to do it in a year or so.
What do you think about this setup, considering my situation?
Case: UltraX Blaster, Model TC-2609BK (already bought it...)
PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower -700W (already bought it)
MoBo: Asus P5K WS LGA775, Intel P35 ATX
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2X1GB) SDRAM DDR2 800
Video: XFX GeForce 8800 GT ,512MB,256-bit GDDR3 PCI-e
(Nvidea GTS & GTX seem too big to fit all into the mid-tower and will cut down on ventilation and also seem to run too hot for the small space)
HDD: WD Caviar 500 GB.
The case has provisions for (3) 120mm fans. Aside from that there's the fan on the cpu an video card.
I'll try to fit another cooling system in somehow. Have been looking at Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler.
Sound card, etc. I can still use from my current system.
If you have any suggestions/feedback, I'll appreciate it very much.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Looks very good. Couple things I want to mention:

-I heard the Q6600 was good for MS FS. Good choice. ;)
-From what I hear, heat may be a bit of an issue with the 8800GT, being a single slot cooler and all. IT may not be a problem though.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

akhilles

Splendid
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2337809

That's not a bad case at all. Cooling is quite good. I strongly suggest you stick a 120mm x 25mm case fan in the front. The 8800GT idles around 60'c & loads around 85'c. Get a cooler master or scythe fan with about 50 cfm & 25-30 dba.

The PSU you bought is one of the best.

If you get the TR U120E cooler, you'll have to remove the fan duck from the side panel of the case. No biggie. The U120E is the top air cooler right now. Stick a 120mm fan with about 60 cfm & 30 dba to the cooler.

If you're not overclocking, don't waste money on Hyper X. Any Kingston ValueRam with lifetime warranty will do. Same size & speed.

TRENDING THREADS