ATI R680 vs NV D9E

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hey guys some interesting articles posted at the VR-ZONE!

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5404

Now that's cool! But it pretty much confirms no new generation of chips for quite some time =,(. Earliest we'd probably see a new family of NV cards would be next summer or 1 year from now I reckon... Still.... 2 G92 chips slapped together, my goodness...
So R680 vs the D9E... First of all, what a strange name to give that NV product. D9E? Also what do you guys think? D9E will probably spank the R680? I just hope the prices are reasonable. I heard earlier that the R680 was going to cost in excess of $700 so hopefully this new competition will bring about fairer prices. NV must feel pretty confident to try something like this, instead of just brining us a darn 9800GTX or 10,000GTX already!

also---

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5405

The new 8800GTS! It looks soooooo sexy, that big metal plate! I hope they ship em like that, who needs logos or stickers? =D
The stats on it look really good! Should be a 8800GT 8800GTX and maybe even 8800 ULTRA killer, especially when overlcocked eh?
The new 8800GTS should cost $299-349, and at that price it BETTER be good, or the GT will remain..... Oh... Wait a minute... You can't find 8800GT in stock anyways.... Hmm ok never mind, I guess that price is fair then =\

My biggest question at this point is, why didn't NV refresh the GTX with this new 65nm tech? They stand to make a ton of money on the high end right now, with the lack of competition from ATI, so why go with the GTS instead of refreshing the GTX?

Why would they refresh the GTX? From what i have seen the GT isnt that far away from the GTX in a lot of bench marks and even beats it in a few so you would hope that the GTS version would at least be on a par with it and be cheaper so there you go one replacement GTX the midrange to what is highend now both covered by two cards instead of three (im not counting the Ultra) this then leaves them a new highend to create when they release the new D9E you mentioned.
You already answered your own question really.
Mactronix

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
It seems it will still have the 16rops then? not that thats shown much drawback tbh. This should also increase the TMU amount too due to the G92 architecture.

If it comes stock at 650mhz thats probably already outperforming most ultras. Looks nice!

Does EVGA support step-up in the UK? Cant find any info on it.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
You'll be waiting about 6 - 12months then. With their products yet still beating ATI's no new card for a while..

Next high end is the dual G92 card.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Then I'll wait 6 - 12 months to buy Crysis. :p