Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800GT ($265) vs. HD 3870 ($225) - which should I buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

Which would I buy?

Total: 87 votes (20 blank votes)

  • 8800GT ($265)
  • 38 %
  • 3870 ($225)
  • 63 %
November 16, 2007 5:22:01 AM

Well my 2 options are 8800GT Superclocked for $265 (pre-ordered) or a HD 3870 for $225 - both prices are after shipping. I plan to use the card for 3-4 years...which do you guys think I should get?

Also, any word on how much and when the new 8800GTS are coming?
November 16, 2007 5:56:01 AM

8800 GT end of discussion lol.....i read that the new GTS will be $100 more than the GT and it wont offer THAT much of a performance boost. Ive seen them at a couple places this week online....newegg had them last time i checked. I would stick with the GT and spend the extra $100 on something else!
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 16, 2007 6:17:59 AM

8800GT
Related resources
November 16, 2007 6:35:41 AM

December 3rd for the new GTS,

8800gt for fps,
3870 for image quality.
November 16, 2007 8:31:58 AM

3870 for overall price/framerate (plus image quality) best deal..
November 16, 2007 8:32:28 AM

of course if your not bothered about price/framerate - get a gtx..
November 16, 2007 9:00:46 AM

3870 unless you can get your 8800GT at ~$240 after shipping etc.
November 16, 2007 9:10:50 AM

3870 probably.
Does it matter that the 8800GT is better if you can't get one?
November 16, 2007 9:15:09 AM

Kazzi1 said:
3870 probably.
Does it matter that the 8800GT is better if you can't get one?


lol very true....
November 16, 2007 9:59:41 AM

I would suggest reading Toms' 15 page 8800GT review along with Toms' 20 page 3800 review (as well as reviews from numerous other sites) and deciding for yourself.

?
November 16, 2007 10:02:33 AM

qmalik said:
Well my 2 options are 8800GT Superclocked for $265 (pre-ordered) or a HD 3870 for $225 - both prices are after shipping. I plan to use the card for 3-4 years...which do you guys think I should get?

Also, any word on how much and when the new 8800GTS are coming?

HD 3870 because its more forward looking compatible with DX10.1. Over 4 years you could have 4 of these running in 4X something the 8800GT cant do. Price is cheaper and by tomshardware article it will save you money on power bills as its idle wattage is as low as the 8600GT. If a new GPU were to come out like a 3970 using 2 of these GPU's this card could work like a 3X setup. This is by an article I read stating the new 3000's can work even in a 2 card 3870 3850 combo.
November 16, 2007 10:16:48 AM

Both of them are good cards but I'm putting my money on the HD3870 512Mb for it's cheaper and can do just about as 8800GT.
November 16, 2007 10:39:35 AM

I think the 3870 is the better buy. If I hadn't bought my 8800GTS, I would get the 3870.
November 16, 2007 11:07:49 AM

i would buy the 3870...it's the best price/performance
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2007 11:19:25 AM

How long until your preorder comes? I ordered well over two weeks ago and mine from amazon says it won't ship until Dec 31'st. Tough to wait if you could use the card.
November 16, 2007 11:21:59 AM

8800gt. Who cares about direct x10.1? You'll be after a new card by the time that matters.
November 16, 2007 11:32:24 AM

8800GT - Better performance and single slot but more expensive, louder, hotter.

3870 - cheaper, cooler, better perforamnce/price ratio and you might actually be able to find one unlike the 8800GT.

I would get the ATI, as I could potentially CF it latter. Its a close and tough desision between the two I think.

Theres a powercolor 3850 that is highly OCed (720/900) and has 512mb, and is about £10 more than the standard 3850
November 16, 2007 11:33:36 AM

8800GT.

18% more money, 18% better performance with filters (from Toms review).

If you can afford the extra $40, then get it - it will have better longevity.
November 16, 2007 11:47:12 AM

3870 - saves heaps of power on idle, runs cooler, likely to overclock well (once they start playing with the coolers).

Toms review is just crap - look at what the other sites are saying ... their reviews are mostly very positive. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151
It's another anti-ATI / AMD piece ... sigh.

Plus the 8800GT can't be had ... tried and failed here.

I just hope DAAMIT price them well and pull the rug completely out from under NVidia ... who have been overcharging us something chronic.

I hope there are plenty for Christmas.

Santa ... you know what I want now !!
November 16, 2007 11:50:17 AM

I say look at the resolution you are gaming at and if it's 1280by1024, go for the 3870. If you want to game at 1920by1280, get the 8800gt. I purchased the 3870 because it was 225 shipped, it was in stock, and multi-GPU future looks to be "user/money friendly" because crossfire X looks to be cheaper than tri-sli.
November 16, 2007 11:51:29 AM

I like the CrossFire X options, too. I think My build is going to chance to include a X38 motherboard so that down the road I can add a second 3870, or possibly the next 'high end' from ATI because you don't need 2x of the exact same card anymore for CrossFire. Or maybe I'll just go with 3x3870s, but then one has to run @ 4x I think. Decisions, decisions!
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 16, 2007 12:04:35 PM

NEITHER!!!! wait until after Xmas so the supplies are backup, people already got what they want as gifts so the price might creap down, and the 8800GTS refresh will be out.
November 16, 2007 12:11:14 PM

qmalik said:
Well my 2 options are 8800GT Superclocked for $265 (pre-ordered) or a HD 3870 for $225 - both prices are after shipping. I plan to use the card for 3-4 years...which do you guys think I should get?

Also, any word on how much and when the new 8800GTS are coming?


For 3-4 years of future use the 3870 is the winner hands down . The 8800 series are all old hat with NO DX10.1 support and never will. It's a shame Tom's Hardware did the old "test em on Winxp " deal again . GET REAL .... XP will soon be dead as no updates or support from microsoft will very soon take the scene . Like it or not VISTA is the big boy on the OS block and stop testing old games on an old Operating system and advising consumers to buy outdated hardware ... for outdated games !!! I often wonder how much nvidia slips in the bank acounts of the execs here ????? Can we even trust these guys at all ? :fou: 

For any and all future development ... why would anyone buy a video card that is and will be way outdated ??? Only an idiot would . Only idiots would tell you to ! I like how they tested a card with benchmarks on old last year games on a system with a soon defunct operating system ... where's the 1680x1050 res benchmarks for directx 10 and 10.1 ????? That's the native resolution for 85-90 % of the monitors out there ? For complete dx10 or 10.1 which will be the norm and only OS system as soon as microsoft ... which they are very shortly ... dumps XP ???

That new benchmark testing and comparison by TH is a joke and really very useless . GET WITH IT TOM'S HARDWARE TESTERS ... WINXP is about dead and STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC !! Buy a Directx 10.1 card ... common sense tells anyone that .... :bounce:  Win XP is only DX9 ..... the past ... get with it !
November 16, 2007 12:14:01 PM

tricky trees said:
8800gt. Who cares about direct x10.1? You'll be after a new card by the time that matters.



this is true, you can't even utilize ati's card feature for the moment & it might take months or years to support many games. But many of us are aiming for smooth fps not just sight seeing inside the game. :) 
November 16, 2007 12:28:10 PM

What's with all the people saying "3870 for image quality"? Direct X10.1 likely won't be used for another year.
November 16, 2007 12:35:39 PM

I would go with the HD 3870 for a few reasons:

Cheaper
Available
Will get better with new drivers
Runs cooler
Saves energy
Does not give the dreaded "the device driver has stopped responding and recovered" error
Dx 10.1

I have a 7800 GT and although it served me well, my Radeon 9500 pro still runs strong after 5 years with no issues. Having had both brands for a few years, I have had fewer problems with ATI.
November 16, 2007 12:48:00 PM

trooper1947 said:
For 3-4 years of future use the 3870 is the winner hands down . The 8800 series are all old hat with NO DX10.1 support and never will. It's a shame Tom's Hardware did the old "test em on Winxp " deal again . GET REAL .... XP will soon be dead as no updates or support from microsoft will very soon take the scene . Like it or not VISTA is the big boy on the OS block and stop testing old games on an old Operating system and advising consumers to buy outdated hardware ... for outdated games !!! I often wonder how much nvidia slips in the bank acounts of the execs here ????? Can we even trust these guys at all ? :fou: 

For any and all future development ... why would anyone buy a video card that is and will be way outdated ??? Only an idiot would . Only idiots would tell you to ! I like how they tested a card with benchmarks on old last year games on a system with a soon defunct operating system ... where's the 1680x1050 res benchmarks for directx 10 and 10.1 ????? That's the native resolution for 85-90 % of the monitors out there ? For complete dx10 or 10.1 which will be the norm and only OS system as soon as microsoft ... which they are very shortly ... dumps XP ???

That new benchmark testing and comparison by TH is a joke and really very useless . GET WITH IT TOM'S HARDWARE TESTERS ... WINXP is about dead and STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC !! Buy a Directx 10.1 card ... common sense tells anyone that .... :bounce:  Win XP is only DX9 ..... the past ... get with it !



Nothing you said was true. Nothing. I suggest you check out the valve survey.

On that same note,I like how all these people claim it is soo much more available than the 8800GT when a quick search around the internet turns up a plethora of places that are sold out/back ordered.
November 16, 2007 12:49:15 PM

8800GT.

It performs better.

Multi GPU is not really something you should plan for the future if you are not buying both cards at the same time. By the time you buy the 2nd card, you will likely have a better standalone card available with about the same performance as SLI/CF solution and better feature set.

The visual quality difference is BS.

NVidia performs better at higher res, especially with AA/AF.

DirectX 10.1 is a non issue - even according to Microsoft.

November 16, 2007 12:59:03 PM

trooper1947 said:
For 3-4 years of future use the 3870 is the winner hands down . The 8800 series are all old hat with NO DX10.1 support and never will. It's a shame Tom's Hardware did the old "test em on Winxp " deal again . GET REAL .... XP will soon be dead as no updates or support from microsoft will very soon take the scene . Like it or not VISTA is the big boy on the OS block and stop testing old games on an old Operating system and advising consumers to buy outdated hardware ... for outdated games !!! I often wonder how much nvidia slips in the bank acounts of the execs here ????? Can we even trust these guys at all ? :fou: 

For any and all future development ... why would anyone buy a video card that is and will be way outdated ??? Only an idiot would . Only idiots would tell you to ! I like how they tested a card with benchmarks on old last year games on a system with a soon defunct operating system ... where's the 1680x1050 res benchmarks for directx 10 and 10.1 ????? That's the native resolution for 85-90 % of the monitors out there ? For complete dx10 or 10.1 which will be the norm and only OS system as soon as microsoft ... which they are very shortly ... dumps XP ???

That new benchmark testing and comparison by TH is a joke and really very useless . GET WITH IT TOM'S HARDWARE TESTERS ... WINXP is about dead and STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC !! Buy a Directx 10.1 card ... common sense tells anyone that .... :bounce:  Win XP is only DX9 ..... the past ... get with it !


XP aint dead, not even close. Its got microsoft support until something like 2012, so even they dont think its anything like dead or dying.
November 16, 2007 12:59:03 PM

Phenium 4 FX said:
this is true, you can't even utilize ati's card feature for the moment & it might take months or years to support many games. But many of us are aiming for smooth fps not just sight seeing inside the game. :) 



Oh well but sorry charlie .... as the tuna commercial goes ... at least YOU WILL be able to utilize all the future aspects when everything has them !!! And they run a heck of alot cooler .... eating bucu LESS POWER than nvidia ... yea just what everyone wants by buying nvidia ... super hot running system with outdated hardware ... overworking their power supplies .... not compatible whatsoever with any future advancement in programming ! For the moment you can utilize some of their best features ... DUHHHHHHHHHH --- :kaola:  It will never be years ... what a joke !! Sounds like a guy who bought nvidia before he should have and is stuck with a mega hundred dollar scrap box card with the bottom soon falling out on it's value ..... :lol:  You think you're gonna get smooth fps on future games with your outdated 8800 ??? :pt1cable: 
November 16, 2007 12:59:20 PM

This is actually the same question that I have continually asking myself since....yesterday. I just don't. You basically have:

-5% of people saying 3870 because of better availability(which I don't believe).
-15% of people saying 3870 because it is shiny and they want to touch it.
-30% of people saying 3870 for actual reason that might be true, such as: better performance after drivers, and better performance for the price.
50% of people saying 8800GT because it is quite possible that the 8800GT might be better even after new ATI drivers.

Meh. Hard Decision.
November 16, 2007 1:01:37 PM

aadamszc said:
Nothing you said was true. Nothing. I suggest you check out the valve survey.

On that same note,I like how all these people claim it is soo much more available than the 8800GT when a quick search around the internet turns up a plethora of places that are sold out/back ordered.


Well of course, it came out like yesterday. Give it 10 days see what the situation is like for both ati and nvidia.
November 16, 2007 1:05:42 PM

trooper1947, please explain how Tom's was supposed to benchmark in direct x10.1??? And as for nvidea cards being outdated?? The 3870 is the new kid on the block and already slower! Cooler, by a tad, who really cares? Less power, well if your that close to your power limit then you need a new PSU anyway and i'm sure your not concidering the environment.
Crossfire yes maybe, but not now for most people.
So the 8800 has to take it.
November 16, 2007 1:07:53 PM

trooper1947 said:
Oh well but sorry charlie .... as the tuna commercial goes ... at least YOU WILL be able to utilize all the future aspects when everything has them !!! And they run a heck of alot cooler .... eating bucu LESS POWER than nvidia ... yea just what everyone wants by buying nvidia ... super hot running system with outdated hardware ... overworking their power supplies .... not compatible whatsoever with any future advancement in programming ! For the moment you can utilize some of their best features ... DUHHHHHHHHHH --- :kaola:  It will never be years ... what a joke !! Sounds like a guy who bought nvidia before he should have and is stuck with a mega hundred dollar scrap box card with the bottom soon falling out on it's value ..... :lol:  You think you're gonna get smooth fps on future games with your outdated 8800 ??? :pt1cable: 


Is this sarcasm? How can you say the the 8800 is outdated while saying the 3800s are not? Seriously, how? No really, how? It just baffles me. Before you say anything, I haven't bought either card yet.

I'm not one to comment on grammar, but that was unreadable.

@spoonboy: In my opinion, as more days go by, I would think that the supplies would be even more limited. Only time shall see.
November 16, 2007 1:09:04 PM

"XP aint dead, not even close. Its got microsoft support until something like 2012, so even they dont think its anything like dead or dying. "

You must have a special hookup with bill gates .... 2012 !!! Yea XP is dead .... no dx10 0r dx10.1 support and there never will be any ! FACT from microsoft ! Run dx10 games on a dx9 system .... ya can't even install DX10 on windows XP !!!!! Folks would be running dx10 games at dx 9 crippled output . You think those games are going to run dx10 on your winxp ????? Sorry pal .... they can't and won't ! All the games are windows compatible .... VISTA dx10 or 10.1 .... only ... XP is history .... who's been telling you you are running dx10 on XP ????? Ain't possible ! And no there will NEVER be any patch or way it will ever happen !
November 16, 2007 1:12:53 PM

trooper1947 said:
Oh well but sorry charlie .... as the tuna commercial goes ... at least YOU WILL be able to utilize all the future aspects when everything has them !!! And they run a heck of alot cooler .... eating bucu LESS POWER than nvidia ... yea just what everyone wants by buying nvidia ... super hot running system with outdated hardware ... overworking their power supplies .... not compatible whatsoever with any future advancement in programming ! For the moment you can utilize some of their best features ... DUHHHHHHHHHH --- :kaola:  It will never be years ... what a joke !! Sounds like a guy who bought nvidia before he should have and is stuck with a mega hundred dollar scrap box card with the bottom soon falling out on it's value ..... :lol:  You think you're gonna get smooth fps on future games with your outdated 8800 ??? :pt1cable: 



first, thanks for your politeness. actually I have X1300 now for my temporary vid card waiting for someting better this Christmas. i can't say 3870 is bad, but 8800 is my price range for now.
November 16, 2007 1:18:11 PM

I know it’s an old cliché but I‘ve really got to get me some of what trooper’s been smoking. Or is it depleted uranium poisoning you have going by your user name?
November 16, 2007 1:22:55 PM

tricky trees said:
trooper1947, please explain how Tom's was supposed to benchmark in direct x10.1??? And as for nvidea cards being outdated?? The 3870 is the new kid on the block and already slower! Cooler, by a tad, who really cares? Less power, well if your that close to your power limit then you need a new PSU anyway and i'm sure your not concidering the environment.
Crossfire yes maybe, but not now for most people.
So the 8800 has to take it.



No TH tested the games on old dx9 os .... xp is not and cannot be dx10 ! Useless tests and benchmarks even for dx10 ! The cards may be dx10 but the games run through dx10 windows only at full capabilities .... not dx9 xp. Let them run the same tests on a true dx10 operating system ... then they'll have value .... they have none " no value " at that configuration whatsoever ! 8800 only takes it barely with an outdated OS .... and current game statistics which are soon old gen . They should have setup the tests with vista dx10 ..... get real . --- :sarcastic: 
Run dx10 games at dx10 .... who cares what old dx9 games show ????? yea we still play them as I do ... but I want tests for future game possibilities . TH just wasted our time and theirs again .... looks like they are nvidia flameboys trying to get folks to buy old hardware to me .
November 16, 2007 1:27:22 PM

trooper1947 said:
Oh well but sorry charlie .... as the tuna commercial goes ... at least YOU WILL be able to utilize all the future aspects when everything has them !!! And they run a heck of alot cooler .... eating bucu LESS POWER than nvidia ... yea just what everyone wants by buying nvidia ... super hot running system with outdated hardware ... overworking their power supplies .... not compatible whatsoever with any future advancement in programming ! For the moment you can utilize some of their best features ... DUHHHHHHHHHH --- :kaola:  It will never be years ... what a joke !! Sounds like a guy who bought nvidia before he should have and is stuck with a mega hundred dollar scrap box card with the bottom soon falling out on it's value ..... :lol:  You think you're gonna get smooth fps on future games with your outdated 8800 ??? :pt1cable: 


i wonder why the newer ones can't still beat the older & outdated one?

"For the moment you can utilize some of their best features ... "
they become now obsolete because NV & Ati will have some new releases. hope Ati can catch up.

"You think you're gonna get smooth fps on future games with your outdated 8800 ??? "
same for 3870.

if 3870 is your price range go for it, no need to be rude :)  .
November 16, 2007 1:31:41 PM

Trooper they test these games/cards on operating systems that most people have so the results actually mean something to the reader. Common sense i'd say.
November 16, 2007 1:34:48 PM

even microsoft can't release pinball or solitare with dx10.1 support.
November 16, 2007 1:39:51 PM

Neither card is enough for high resolution gaming of DX 10.1...

8800GT will probably have much better performance within the period before AMD releases Catalyst 8.5 (6 months time...)...

Forget anything about Windows stuff...you may probably using Windows 7 at 2009 and both Vista & XP are old stuff, and you may end-up not meeting the minimum requirement for Windows 7 with both card...Or maybe Windows's suck and you end-up using Linux or MacOS, so, forget it...
November 16, 2007 1:53:57 PM

At $219.00 delivered from newegg ... they are surely price available for all the future posibilities . It's just some of these guys say the most untruthful so called facts and alot of new users and buyers take it for fact on here . When you test a new generation card trickytrees ... ya don't test it on outdated os and games and lead people down the wrong road to statistics no matter what most people have at home . I must expect too much to have a completely new advancement in video rendering tested on at least an up to date system .
Why anyone would invest double the money on a card they can't utilize at dx9 on an outdated systen is hard for me to realize . Why a site would not show what this new video card does on a current configuration instead they are backtracking with old hardware is useless ... sorry but true . We've seen all the old tests .... show us what all the current systems being sold can do .... again looks like selling for nvidia once again by these guys . I like nvidia as much as ATI ... but now they're behind .... common sense if you own an outdated system ... hardware or OS ... update IT before you buy and run a video card you can't fully utilize at all .
November 16, 2007 1:55:57 PM

If you have money, and dont care about loudness, get 2 x 8800GT (good luck ;) )

3870 has smilar price/performance as 8800GT, just available, much quieter, and has extra features nvidia doesnt.

That sums it up, pick whats important for you.
November 16, 2007 1:57:03 PM

mahoumatic said:
Neither card is enough for high resolution gaming of DX 10.1...

8800GT will probably have much better performance within the period before AMD releases Catalyst 8.5 (6 months time...)...

Forget anything about Windows stuff...you may probably using Windows 7 at 2009 and both Vista & XP are old stuff, and you may end-up not meeting the minimum requirement for Windows 7 with both card...Or maybe Windows's suck and you end-up using Linux or MacOS, so, forget it...


Probably have ..... windows what ????? Stop inhaling your mother's hair spray ! --- :pt1cable:  The little short school bus is blowing the horn for you to catch it .....
November 16, 2007 2:13:44 PM

qmalik said:
Well my 2 options are 8800GT Superclocked for $265 (pre-ordered) or a HD 3870 for $225 - both prices are after shipping. I plan to use the card for 3-4 years...which do you guys think I should get?

Also, any word on how much and when the new 8800GTS are coming?


I just back from talking to Frys this morning to see if anyone anywhere had any ETA of the 8800GT being restocked. They said they werent getting them in for another 2 weeks. I personally have been waiting since 10/29 from BUY.COM and with no sign of it being in stock still. So if it bother you to wait go for the 3870. Or you can wait like me for god only knows how much longer. I never bought an item and waited over a month just for it to restock let alone the time added from shipping.
November 16, 2007 2:21:33 PM

Why is everyone getting hostile? The OP needs to figure out what resolution he will be playing at and consider how much he can spend and go from there.

Lower resolution and best bargain (as of right now) = 3870

Higher resolution and best performance = 8800gt

a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2007 2:21:47 PM

Has anyone found 3870s in stock? I've checked most of the usual sources and havent found any available.
November 16, 2007 2:21:50 PM

trooper1947 said:
At $219.00 delivered from newegg ... they are surely price available for all the future posibilities . It's just some of these guys say the most untruthful so called facts and alot of new users and buyers take it for fact on here . When you test a new generation card trickytrees ... ya don't test it on outdated os and games and lead people down the wrong road to statistics no matter what most people have at home . I must expect too much to have a completely new advancement in video rendering tested on at least an up to date system .
Why anyone would invest double the money on a card they can't utilize at dx9 on an outdated systen is hard for me to realize . Why a site would not show what this new video card does on a current configuration instead they are backtracking with old hardware is useless ... sorry but true . We've seen all the old tests .... show us what all the current systems being sold can do .... again looks like selling for nvidia once again by these guys . I like nvidia as much as ATI ... but now they're behind .... common sense if you own an outdated system ... hardware or OS ... update IT before you buy and run a video card you can't fully utilize at all .


That is just the thing. According to the valve survey, more people are currently using XP. IT was only a first review and when more people start using Vista/they feel like benching on Vista -- then they wull.
November 16, 2007 2:36:10 PM

cappster said:
Why is everyone getting hostile? The OP needs to figure out what resolution he will be playing at and consider how much he can spend and go from there.

Lower resolution and best bargain (as of right now) = 3870

Higher resolution and best performance = 8800gt


The absoulte answer. The 3870. The reason. As far as I and many other 8800GT buyers/pre-orders go, the 8800GT is NOT even an option. You cant buy what doesnt exist....well you can pre-order and wait until sometime In December. Thats it, plain and simple. If for some mythic-godly created reason he can find a 8800GT for $265 shipped, I would go for it. I personally paid $240/free shipping. (thank god I didn't pay for next day or something fancy, what good is it for your product to come in a few days early if your initial wait is gonna be over a month?)
!