eoren1

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I'm planning on building a system to sit in the living room and serve as:
1. DVR with TV card
2. Media server (iTunes, etc)
3. NAS (network attached storage)

After a bit of research, thinking about:
1. Motherboard - MSI K9AGM2-FIH. MicroATX. Gigabit ethernet. 4xSATA. RAID. 7.1 audio.
Questions: Does this gigabit ethernet support Jumbo frames? Does the integrated video allow S-video out? HDMI out? Would it be suitable for Divx/Xvid playback? Any MB that support eSATA (or is this a case function that links to the SATA ports on the board?
2. CPU - AMD - not sure about Sempron vs Athlon 64. Suggestions on which and speed?
3. Case - Antec NSK1300 vs Sonata 3. Need room for 3-4 HDDs and 1 DVD-R. Also need HDMI/S-video out port, audio connections, FW port.
Will bring my own RAM (2x1gb), TV card (Hauppauge PVR-150) and DVD-R from current desktop.

Windows home server vs Ubuntu + MythTV + FreeNAS
Anyone use either for this type of function?
I will need this to 'play nice' with a Macbook.

Thanks in advance!
E

eoren1

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007

Thanks for the quick reply.
Mobo: No HDTV yet. Currently have a crappy old TV and was hoping to run S-video to my Onkyo tuner and then video out from there. Hoping to buy an LCD TV in a few months and wanted to ensure compatibility.

CPU: No gameplay. No overclocking. Just TV recording and divx/xvid playback.

Any thoughts on the OS? Just found the Ubuntu home server which likely will do all I need with the addition of MythTV.

Thanks again,
E

akhilles

Splendid
MOBO: It looks like it has HDMI & D-SUB ports. You'll need a converter to convert the VGA to S-Video signal.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane AM2.

OS: I use only XP PRO. If Ubuntu is free, it doesn't hurt to try.

eoren1

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Thank you both.
Was starting to get worried about the AMD chip after seeing some benchmarks on divx encoding on Anandtech. The Intel e4x00 blew it away. Then again, I can wait a few extra minutes for the encoding.

Thanks for the suggestion of the vga to s-video out. Found some cables that'll do the trick.

I just bought the case - Antec NSK2400 with 380W Earthwatts PSU. Went on sale for $60AR and jumped on it. Can upgrade the PSU later if needed but the case gets great reviews.

LinuxMCE also looks great for a novice such as myself. I'm now realizing that this system will crush my current PC and will continue to use this as a part time Windows machine and rest-of-the-time Linux MCE/PVR/NAS until I convert over to Macs. That means photo processing with Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 and web surfing.

Any suggestions for a CPU cooler? Saw one by Asus over at ZipZoomFly that looked decent. Any alternatives to Zalman that are quiet?
Thanks again,
E

tlmck

Distinguished
It would be hard to beat the Zalman for silence. Just make sure whichever one you pick will fit in the case.

The 380 Earthwatts will be fine in such a low power system. I have the NSK4400 with the same PSU running my low power Linux box.