Best VGA cooler for the 8800GTX

akelkar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Hi, I'm getting 60C at idle and 80C at load with the fan at 100% at all times. I'm planning on installing a custom cooler for the evga 8800GTX. Which one is the best? I plan on overclocking the cPU and GPU a little. But thats after I learn how to overclock. :) Just built this new PC myself. My very first. Other than the GPU temps, eerything is smoooth. Crysis runs ok.Around 20-25 fps with Very High settings at 1680*1050. I also have a Q6600 with a thermalright Ultima. CPU is usually 33C under load which is fantastic.

Thanks for you help!!

T3hKittl3s

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Well, I'd stick with Thermalright's products and go for a Thermalright HR-03 Plus. My friend has the HD2900 equivalent, and idles at ~45C and peaks at ~65C. Excellent cooler, even if it's a bit pricey. Just be sure to get a quality 92mm fan to go with it, such as a Scythe S-FLEX, or SilenX. I have two of the latter, one for my case, one for my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. They're very quiet, and reliable.

Hope this is helpful.

Thermalright is the way to go with cooling. I LOVE their products. the only thing I don't like of theirs is the RAM cooler, its overboard. They don't include fans with anything but they are top quality. My buddy has an HR-03 for his GTX and it cools it very well. Get a nice 92mm fan and you are set.

akelkar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Will I be able to remove the ram sinks easily after I have glued them with thermal adhesive? What if I have to return the card. I should be able to restore the original heatsink eVGA provides. Is there any non-permanent thermal adhesive? From what I hear there is no such thing. That uncertainty is the only thing preventing me from buying it.