Sign in with
Your question

Need help finding a case

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2007 3:07:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums so please go easy on me. I've been reading them for awhile and I think my head is swimming right now so here's my question(s):

I've going to dive back into the "building a computer" scene and I need some help finding a reasonable case. I've grown out of my "lots of lights, lots of windows" stage and I'm looking for something more sleek and not as obnoxious. The Lian-Li cases look nice but tend to be a little pricier. I think the Antec 900 is pretty close if it didn't have that dang side window. So my question is, anyone have any ideas? One thing I really like about the Antec case is the placement of the USB ports and stuff.

Also, one goal I have is to make the case as quiet as possible (which I'm sure is everyone's goal, but I don't plan on overclocking or anything like that). So if you have any suggestions as far as that goes, that'd be great.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

More about : finding case

November 7, 2007 3:15:09 PM

I'm new as well, but have been reading like crazy to educate myself. I have decided to go with the Antec P182.

Antec P182
- It's Antec, you like Antec
- No side window
- It's super quiet due to it's build and robust nature

It is quite large, heavy and a bit more expensive, those could be considered a "downers".
November 7, 2007 3:18:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Kurse. It's pretty close. The only thing that I don't like is the USB placement. Since I'm still in the planning phase, I'm trying not to compromise too much. If a case like the p182 exists with the USB on top, that's what I'd like to go with. If not, I think the p182 is definitly on my short-list (so far at least).
Related resources
November 7, 2007 3:19:50 PM

Theres an antec on newegg that is just like the one you want but without side windows. check the top sellers list there, its fairly cheap
November 7, 2007 3:43:41 PM

That's a pretty nice case to Kurse, but it's $40 more than the Cool Master (at least on newegg.com). I'll have to see if I can't find a couple of reviews on these cases and go from there.

Thanks for all of your help!
November 7, 2007 4:16:06 PM

Depending on how much you are willing to spend: Antec P182 (expensive), Silverstone TJ09 (more expensive), Lian-Li PC-V2100 (most expensive). Actually, my TJ09 is more expensive than the Lian-Li if you include the price of the 3 SFF21E fans I added. My criteria for picking a case were:

1. quiet
2. great cooling, capable of dealing with a quad CPU and three 8800 GTX cards (I'll get a 780i mobo and two more GTXs later when prices drop)
3. room for 8800 GTX cards and for a lot of hard disks

The P182 was very tempting but I gave up on it because adding a huge 8800GTX reduces the number of hard disks available, and 8800 GTX SLI meant I couldn't fit as many disks in as I wanted. If you don't need SLI or you use 8800 GT cards (which are smaller), then the P182 will be fine (especially if you don't create more heat by overclocking).

The TJ09 does have USB on top and at the back, by the way. It's got a few other things on top but I forgot what they are, never used them yet. :lol: 

Also look at Cooler Master Stacker or Thermaltake Armor.

November 7, 2007 4:16:36 PM

fleep said:
I couldn't find it SuperiorRobot, but I did see this COOLER MASTER Mystique:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119129&Tpk=COOLER%2bMASTER%2bMystique%2bRC-632S-KKN1-GP

Does anyone have any experience w/ it?

I helped with an install into it. To be honest, I wasn't paying as much attention to it as I was to the components... I don't recall it being particularly easy or difficult. Also, it's on sale at outpost/fry's for cheap (though no free shipping). $70->$30 (after rebate)

The door seemed well constructed, though my father did cut himself once, I think. Apart from that, I don't recall much.
November 7, 2007 4:37:43 PM

I have the Antec 900 case, and I love it. There's only really one draw back with this case. It's a dust magnet. If you decide on the Antec 900. I would buy some fan filters. You can buy them at Compusa for three dollars apiece
November 7, 2007 4:39:07 PM

Wow, thanks for all of your input. You've definitly given me a lot of options to mull over. I can't wait until I start looking for a PSU, MoBo, and CPU....
November 7, 2007 5:09:37 PM

The Lian Li PC7 is a little less expensive than other cases by Lian Li. You may want to look into that. I just built my girlfriend a computer in one and it was wonderful.
!