• Radeon
  • Antec
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2007 2:25:49 PM

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/593/1/

Look at the size of that card :ouch:  Im hoping it fits in an antec 900 X_x

Supposedly its going to be priced at $400? That should surly equal a 8800GTX right?

I'm having a hard time seeing if it uses 2 6pin or just 1.

More about : amd hd3870 pictured

November 16, 2007 2:47:30 PM

AMD is gaining speed, very nice. Cant believe nVidia was caught sleeping. It still havent shown double 8800GT (D8E) in action, no working triple sli, serious compatibility problems with 45nm Intel cpus...

It seems at least in graphics division AMD is as good as Intel in cpu's atm.
November 16, 2007 5:23:37 PM

Really looking forward to January... I hear about a G92 8800GTS that should beat a GTX for sure I would think. I really have to wonder how long its going to be before Nvidia comes up with some new high end... at the same time I’m really loving AMD's 3870x2. I can’t imagine the power with 2 of them in crossfire. You would think Pci-e gen 2 would actually be useful at that point.

January will defiantly be the time I decide between a mainstream penryn or a Phenom x4 build.

a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 5:49:04 PM

Looks to me like 2x6pin. I'm not sure why wireless is worried about power. Under load, the 3870 consumes as much as the 8800GT, and at idle it consumes less. Due to the die shrink, and a bit of help from AMD, they have cut the power down quite considerable from the 2900XT.

The only problem I have with the pic is that I have a bit of trouble believing it. Two 3870s on a single slot cooler? No memory cooling on the back of the card? Those 8 memory chips are going to get very hot, more so for the poor card on the bottom. I'm not saying the pic is a fake, but it doesn't seem to follow what I know. (maybe braking the mold is what AMD needs to do to get the performance crown back...)
November 16, 2007 6:04:31 PM

That’s not a single slot cooler, its double. I wouldn’t doubt the pics either, what’s to doubt? Also, I’m not worried about power I am wondering how many connectors it takes for not all power supplies have 4 6pin connectors. But if you plan to use 2 of these, then yes you gotta make sure you can power it!
November 16, 2007 6:16:57 PM

my question is what happens when someone gets one of the new CFx boards for quad fire and loading in 4 of these? Will AMD/ATI make a driver that supports 8 cores?

It would be awesome to see at least... even if I never really wanted to own it.
November 16, 2007 6:19:55 PM

Well I think Power is going to be an issue as well as heat.
While the HD3870 is fairly good on Heat/Power Usage, the X2 could easily be seen doubling those numbers which would put it will above an 8800Ultra.

I also will question until I see it in production how much more power it really brings. Will it really gain in games that currently do not gain from SLI? The old Dual vs Quad core in the CPU realm. We will need to see how the drivers and games work together to harness the power.

I also certainly hope the X2 can power down one core when not gaming. Otherwisethe Idle Power usage will be terrible. A real loss for those who do not game an overwhelming majority of the time.

I'm not knocking the card, I just want to see what it can do.
It could be sweet as momma's apple pie, or it could be something that just leaves me a little disappointed.

a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 7:48:48 PM

I am probably wrong about the dual slot. I went back and looked over the pics, they do seem to be dual slot. I am also claiming to be mislead by this sentence.

Quote:
The thought of having the power of a pair of Radeon HD 3870 graphics cards on a single slot solution is awesome.

I guess slot in this case means a single PCIe slot...

As the article said, we won't be seeing 8 core any time soon. Go back and look at the card, it only has a single CF bridge. What I'd like to know is when motherboards will start having 4 PCIe slots. And if you get one, no room for any other slots right? It said you could CFX four 3870, which are dual slot cards. This means you need 8 slots in the back, and ATX specs say only 7 right?

I don't recall saying heat wasn't going to be an issue, just not as much as was said. I wasn't sure if the poster had heard about the better thermal numbers the 3870 has over the 2900XT.
November 16, 2007 7:59:38 PM

4745454b said:

As the article said, we won't be seeing 8 core any time soon. Go back and look at the card, it only has a single CF bridge. What I'd like to know is when motherboards will start having 4 PCIe slots. And if you get one, no room for any other slots right? It said you could CFX four 3870, which are dual slot cards. This means you need 8 slots in the back, and ATX specs say only 7 right?

I guess its no problem for AMD to enable 8 gpu's per system, the only problem is driver.

MBs with 4 x PCIe will be launched soon, very soon. 790FX are demoed all over the place.

You can have 4 x dual slots cards per MB, the only question is how manufacturer arranges PCIe, so far only MSI is making MB for 4 x 3870.
a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 8:26:23 PM

Dont forget you'll need a case that has atleast 8 expansion slots at the back for 4x dual slot cards aswell, not just the mobo :p 
most atx cases only have 7
edit or atleast enough space beneath the 7th expansion slot to fit the cooler
a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 8:48:08 PM

Thats what I meant. Look at the back of a case, and you only have 7 slots. (I've always wondered why the PCIe/AGP slots weren't at the bottom, let the dual slot cooler take up empty space rather then a PCI/PCIe slot...) 4x3850's would be easy, 4 x any dual slot card, I don't see how it would work.
November 16, 2007 8:57:05 PM

4745454b said:
Thats what I meant. Look at the back of a case, and you only have 7 slots. (I've always wondered why the PCIe/AGP slots weren't at the bottom, let the dual slot cooler take up empty space rather then a PCI/PCIe slot...) 4x3850's would be easy, 4 x any dual slot card, I don't see how it would work.

Water cooling my friend...anyone who is picking 4x3870 will have to be putting water cooling on them to have room.
November 16, 2007 9:06:57 PM

There are already a few motherboards that will support 4 pci-e gen 2 slots as well as 2 pci slots. one of them is the Asus 790FX mobo M3A32-MVP Deluxe: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4...

Keep in mind that 2 HD3870x2 would only take up 2pci-e gen2 slots and 4 spots on the back of your case allowing room for the pci slots.

Also, I’m very confident that the AMD HD3870 x2's core will be individually tunable just like how every core of their phenom can. Its that way already with a 4way crossfire each gpu is individually tunable. So power management will be there.
a b À AMD
November 17, 2007 12:47:28 AM

While some water blocks would work, I don't think all would. (not everyone uses water cooling) Not all water blocks allow for single slot cooling. 2 3870x2's would still be only four GPUs, the person spoke of having 8 chips. I can see single cards working, I don't see dual slots. (at least using air cooling, water cooling would work.)
November 17, 2007 1:16:21 AM

thermaltake is working on a case design with 10 pci slots for anything you can think of
November 17, 2007 1:57:59 AM

Thats not possible at this point, only the 3850 and 3870 have the option to use 4 of them, The 3870x2 is only capable of 2 for a total of 4cores.
!