partialsum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'm unable to find an answer to this anywhere in the threads or the memory faq, so I'll start a new one.

What is the advantage, from a gamer's perspective, of having greater memory? Right now I have 2 Gb of DDR2 memory. I play Call of Duty 4 and Oblivion. So how will say, having 4 Gb of memory, enhance my systems performance with these kinds of games (if at all)?

Thanks!

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
RAM is relatively fast in comparison to spinning media (hard drives, cd-roms, etc.) More memory means that more data can be loaded from slower media into faster RAM, thereby requiring less access of the slower media.

However, if you have 32bit Windows you won't be able to utilize all 4 GB anyways, as you will only see 3 GB.

Some games are programmed to use all the memory that is available to them. In this case, 4gb is better than 2gb. Also, there are other tasks running in your system which may take up memory. Additional memory insulates you from their interference. DDR2 is so cheap these days, that it may be the best price/performance you can make to your system.