SupremeFX II interference problems

elvi5

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Hey guys,

I've been struggling to solve a interference problem with SupremeFX II card. All my drive activity, CPU, memory & even mouse movements cause subtle interference in my headphones. I've googled this problem, which seems quite common, & the solution seems to be disabling the PC speaker. Howerever, I have no idea how to go about doing this on my board. I have an ASUS P5E X38. Can the PC speaker be disabled somehow? I'm not even sure the P5E has a speaker.

Torbjorn

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hello

I have the exact same problem, running a Maximus Formula motherboard. I tried disabling the backplate connections by turning off speaker in the black hawk controlpanel, but that did not help at all.

On one of my old computers I also had the same issue with the built in sound running AC97, and got the tip to ground the case with metallic wire to a radiator or something similar. I bought a cheap soundblaster audigy instead, which worked flawlessly.

Have you tried to stick the SupremeFX into another PCIe slot and see if its the same? I havent had the time to switch it around, but I have limited hope that it would do any good.

If someone has any solution please advice =)

Regards
Torbjörn

Torbjorn

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
After some digging i found that apparently its not possible to use the audio riser in any other slot than the dedicated one, so ignore that tip =)

The problem is apparently not component based but electrical, and caused by something called a ground loop.

One solution seems to be to connect every component in your system to the same power-outlet (the same ground). I do not have this atm, but will try that when I get home. It seems like its a solution that might work, since I did not have any problems with old build until I moved it to a new location (thus changing the setup and power-sockets, se above post)

Ill try that and if it helps ill let you know
/Torbjörn