Problem with favorites in IE7

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I recently had problems with IE8 so I uninstalled and installed IE7. All my favorites are under my favorites folder: Document and settings/Dell/favorites.
When I try to go to one of favorites it tries to print for some odd reason. All the favorites have the unknown file format picture with them. When I try to add a new bookmark it does the same thing. It adds it to my favorites but won't open the website. It's like the URL isn't there with the favorite. Please help this is a friends comp and he needs it tom for school. Thank you so much.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Not IE, your Favorites. Is "Dell" your Windows user name?

Just copy the folder to a safe place. But if your IE is already corrupted, don't know if the Favorites are intact. You should do backups of data regularly before something happens.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
ok so I restored the comp to last thur. I imported my favorites from ie into firefox so Im good on that. Now my problem is what it was before, IE doesn't start. How do I completely remove IE to do a reinstall

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You didn't say you were using Firefox. I think you'd better back up a little.
Are you now on IE 7 or 8.?
What version of Firefox?
And what result are you trying to get? Firefox as the default browser?

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I used revo to uninstall ie7. It ran into some problems when uninstalling. It said it couldn't find some files. So I skipped this and removed ie7 (i think) I disabled it under windows components installed ie7 again and re enabled ie in the windows components. Still doesn't work.......

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Ok so IE8 is installed and works fine. My favorites were automatically pulled and they work fine too. The problem now is the website i need to work with ie is not working. It's called Logmein.com when the activex control bar comes up ie reports a problem and closes the page. Is this a problem with website and ie8 (it worked fine with ie7)

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Use Firefox, with IE as your backup. IE is still full of security holes in every version, but you need it for a few sites, including manual MS updates. What do you think 1/3 of those MS Win updates are? Security fixes for IE.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
i added the site to the comp view setting and still no luck. When activex control is supposed to come up i get this error:

THe instruction at "0x06370068" referenced memory at "0x06370068". The memory could not be written,

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
i added the site to the comp view setting and still no luck. When activex control is supposed to come up i get this error:

THe instruction at "0x06370068" referenced memory at "0x06370068". The memory could not be written,

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Tilweh--
1--IE is part of the system, and not every file has the name Internet explorer in it. Voidtools is not a good program.
2--You shgouldn't uninstall IE using Revo or the Win uninstaller because it's part of the system. This is the method MS suggests under "XP" here for reverting back
http://tiplet.com/tip/how-to-revert-back-to-internet-explorer-7/

3--I think you'd better stop here before Doug's system gets screwed up.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Doug, I'm waiting for a little more help here, as your system now has more problems than you started with. I don't step into Active X and VM problems if I don't understand them. Please be patient... :D

After this is all fixed, ask your friend to clone his HD, to avoid this kind of thing.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi All,

Thought I'd drop my two cents into the ring. Interesting problem!
I would try this (to eliminate add-in issues without uninstalling anything)

Run IE8 Without Add-ons:

Internet Explorer can be run without the add-ons installed. This is useful if you run into some kind of error after you installed any particular add-on. You can open Internet Explorer without add-ons in 2 ways. One way to open is to navigate to start menu-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons). This opens up IE without ActiveX controls and browser extensions.

Second way is Win + R key which opens Run command, type iexplore –extoff and this will open up IE8 without add-ons.