Memory/MB/Buss speed question.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Wasn't sure where to post this, since I have several questions, if it needs moved I apologize.

Not sure where to start, but I used to be 'in the know' but have changed industries so I don't really follow computers and builds that much anymore. So this leaves me with some confusion.

Here is what I am planning on upgrading my system with:
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz
Asus Striker Extreme
Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator 2GB
(2) GeForce 8800 Ultra Extreme 768MB cards
Windows Vista Ultimate.

My questions are this:
I am confused at what memory speed I need, at a minimum, to match the processor.
The processor is 1333 FSB, but it is very hard to find DDR2 that runs at 1333 MHz.
However I vaguely remember that on DDR, dual channel you only need memory to be 1/2 of FSB speed.
So is this right? 1333 FSB = 667 DDR2?
So if I purchase DDR2 800 I should be good to 1600 FSB?
Or do I need to wait for DDR3 to really support the FSB properly?

Also ASUS website doesn't say this MB will run 1333 FSB but other sites says it isn't a problem. Calling ASUS I couldn't get a straight answer on FSB support or my memory question.
Will this MB support 1333 FSB?

Also does this MB TRUELY support 2 seperate channels of x16 PCIe?
I read in the guide here and elsewhere it does, but ASUS website or support doesn't/won't say.
I'd hate to buy such nice cards and have it restricted.

I considered an X38 MB, but they are ATI crossfire ready, and I read this doesn't work well with Nvidia cards because they are artificially bottlenecked by drivers since it isn't an SLI ready board?

I am pretty set on ASUS, Corsair, Nvidia and Intel products. I've used them in all my computers and have never ever had a problem, so I really would like information related to my product selection.

Thank you,

tlmck

Distinguished
For 1333 match you need DDR2 667. For overclock room, you would use DDR2 800. When you get to 1600 FSB, DDR2 800 would be the match, and DDR2 1066 would be the overclock choice. For the foreseeable future, it seems DDR3 is not needed.

The Striker does support 1333. It also supports Dual x16 SLi. It has a third slot for x8(I don't know why. Seems like a waste).

You did not mention it, but it appears so far, that the 680i chipset boards will not be upgradeable to 45nm processor technology. Just thought I'd mention it. Even so, this machine should last you a while.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
tlmck,

Here is my setup
Intel QX6850
Asus P5K-Deluxe
4GB (4X1) Crucial Ballastic Tracer DDR2-1066

I used the guide to overclocking that someone put a link to in the forum but it was for overclocking the Q6600 so he set his FSB to 266 and DRAM to 667 in my case what do I start out at? Do I start higher like setting FSB to 333 and DRAM to 800 or what? Could you help please?

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Excellent.
I appreciate the response.

I'll probably order everything soon, maybe even Monday.
I have been looking at the 11xx MHz dominator memory, perhaps overkill but if i can find a decent enough deal...

Again thanks a ton!

tlmck

Distinguished
To dallasjoh,

With the 1333 FSB processor, your system defaults to 333 base FSB.

From there, I would immediately try a 400mhz FSB. Your ram can certainly handle it, and should not need any tweaking. That should give you 3.6ghz right off the bat. If it is unstable, you might have to tweak some voltages etc... If you have major trouble, try it with just 2gb ram. Sometimes the voltages become unstable with all 4 slots filled in.

If you have any major trouble, you can do a new post in the OC section. There are folks over there that have way more experience than I. I can also talk to a friend who has the E6850/Striker version of what you have. He runs 3.6 all day every day. His has DDR2 800 Ballistix in 2x2gb though.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Only going with 2 sticks of 1GB each for 2GB total.

Since I'll have 1.5 GB total of memory on the 2 video cards and the 2 GB system ram, that'll be really close to the 32bit/4GB limit that Vista can address.

I personally feel that drivers/hardware/etc... for a 64 bit OS isn't yet necessary, for now.

Thanks.