Quad CF HD3870 X2 and a Monster case

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
So I found a link to this report saying that AMD/ATI has already put together working samples of the HD 3870 X2 and CF'd them. I must say it looks pretty awesome.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/593/1/

My only question is: The top picture with the 4 HD 3870s appears to have 12 expansion slots (8 of which taken up by the GPUs. Does anyone know if this is some kind of new ultra-huge standard?

I found an old standard called WTX from 1999 that was much bigger than E ATX, but it look like it died a long time ago (like BTX).

G

Thats sweet now you can spend money on FOUR bad cards wooooo

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

No, it is a standard ATX board. The motherboard itself only has seven expansion slots (4 PCI-E x16, the other 3 are PCI-E x1 and PCI). Here is a board similar to the one in the picture:

790_01.jpg

The case (probably a Silverstone Extended ATX case) simply has more slots than the motherboard. The bottom card hangs slightly over the bottom edge of the motherboard, but it's not covering up an 8th slot on the motherboard.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

When I said standard, I meant case standard, not MB. I assumed it was an ATX board with the overhang. However, I'm not sure about the case, because I've never seen a case with more than 7 expansion slots. And Silverstone doesn't a have single EATX case with more than 7 expansion slots. Do you have a link to case that advertises >7 slots? The only difference between ATX and EATX is the length of the MB not the height (12"x9.6" vs. 12"x13"). Both standards only contain 7 slots.