How to deal with Static ????????

leadfooter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Our house is all carpet and we have alot of static. I am building my first rig right now and want to know how to deal with static when your working on say just the MOBO and do not have the case around??? Suggestions with or without a static wristband (clip where) would be helpful??? Thank You

If you don't have a wristband, you need to plug your PSU up and use it to ground yourself before you even think about touching anything static sensitive. While you are doing your MB work, make sure you keep a hand on the plugged up PSU. That is what I do when I get lazy and don't feel like getting out the wrist strap. Safer than nothing I guess.

leadfooter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I do have a wristband. If I am working on just the MOBO what do I clip it to then??????
What do you mean by Plugged up??? Plug it into the wall?? Before installing MOBO and all the parts??
Once the MOBO is in the case does it matter what I clip the Wristband too.

BrutalDawg1

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
just touch the metal part of your case, built hunderds of computers and never had a problem.

also if your kitchen doesnt have carpet..which it shouldnt go there.

Sorry about that. Ya, technically you are supposed to keep your PSU plugged up while working on your comp so that static has a place to go (ground). put on your wristband and clip it to the metal frame of the case WITH the PSU installed and plugged in to the wall.

I always do what BrutalDawg1 does, just touch the frame of the case while in the kitchen.

Please be very careful as this is the time of the year for static buildup, and its REALLY bad here. I'm afraid to upgrade my CPU!

Keep the rocker switch on the back of the PSU off. No matter what pins are shorted, it won't turn on. If it isn't in the case yet, just sit it on the table where you're building, and attach your wrist strap to it.

One way to decrease static build up (I realize it's a bit late for this build!) is to cut some fabric softener 1:4 in water and spray a fine mist of it on the carpet.

leadfooter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Even our bathroom is carpeted. We have forced air furnace and tons of static. I have already lost a TV tuner card due to static I am not taking any chances with my new Blood Iron MOBO and duo core CPU ECT..

Again, attach it to the grounded case or the PSU.

DO NOT ATTACH THE WRIST STRAP TO THE MB UNLESS IT IS MOUNTED IN THE CASE AND GROUNDED.

Even then its not a good idea to attach directly to the MB because it is very possible to damage the fine traces on the board. You risk putting a lot of voltage and current through the board that way.

Just get a wooden/plastic chair and work at the kitchen table with your feet off the floor, do this before you ground yourself to the case/PSU.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I wasn't telling you to do your build in the bathroom, I was suggesting that you read the exhaustive posts in the thread. The whole ESD thing was beaten to death, and then some, in that thread.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Another idea that I don't think was covered in the other thread, is to buy some anti static spray like Static Guard. You can get it in the grocery store in the laundry soap aisle. Spray the rug in the area that you are working.

If you decide to wear a wool sweater then spray that too. :lol:

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
just dont let esd worry you to much or you end up dropping you motherboard while you doing a handstand on a copper plater while trying to install the motherboard with one hand. Just ground to you self to the frame and youll be fine.

randomizer

Champion

I don't even do that, I just touch the case after I walk around for a bit. Nylon carpet is a dynamo for static electricity, but it never caused me to fry anything.