Adaptec Raid 5405 doesn work with my Asus II Formula M/B

chillath

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
hello

I bought the adaptec raid 5405 card and it block my pc after the post messages and before the <<ctrl + A>> promt.
The m/b is quiet new with the 780i Nvidia chipset . A technitian from the pc store says that perhaps there is a conflict with the raid contrllers of the m/b but there a disabled from the bios. Does anybody know anything ? I really want to use that adaptec card. I use a pciex16, the only free, and the specific card works fine with an abit nvidia chipset m/b.

thanks

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Make sure your firmware on the Adaptec controller is at least 15738. 15728 may have problems. It may also be necessary for you to flash it in another computer or have your local PC store do it for you.

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Also many non enterprise m/b's do not support non gfx cards so you will also have to check that with your m/b manufacturer, and seeing as you're using an Nvidia chipset i would not be surprised if it did not.

chillath

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
thanks for the replay ... i did a bios upgrade for the m/b and a firmeare for the adaptec and its working . but i have a problem with the hit. The card burning so much and the alarm warning me all the time about the high temperature so im looking for a cooling system.

chillath

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
thanks for the replay ... i did a bios upgrade for the m/b and a firmeare for the adaptec and its working . but i have a problem with the hit. The card burning so much and the alarm warning me all the time about the high temperature so im looking for a cooling system.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Adaptec cards do run hot and do require active cooling. This means they must have air moving across the heat sink on the card. They do not require much air but must have some.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Im more of the utilitarian type than bling. I stole a fan, close to 40mm, off an outdated heatsink. (it was new just outdated, it might have been for a PIII) and "installed" it on my Adaptec card with 4 drops of hot glue. It has been there for a couple of months and is not going anywhere. Card runs cool.

BTW there is a company that makes fans for those type of heatsinks. Its the same company that makes that heatsink for Adaptec and they DO NOT make a fan for that heatsink. It is also a special order heatsink and not a standard size. I tried 25mm, 30mm, 40mm fans and nothing fit with the screws lining up correctly. The 30mm did fit if you turn it slightly but it was loud and didnt move much air for the amount of noise it was making. I chose to custom mount mine.

I guess there are also options to mount a fan somewhere in the chassis.

Let me know what you come up with.

chillath

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
hi
I google for coolers specialy for adaptec but i wasnt lucky.
So i thought more practicaly like u and i buy a heatsink 40mm copper with a compact fan for chipsets , from the ENZOTECH the slf-1.
The two screws does not feet on the cards holds so im thinking to use a strong glue and thermal compound .

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Wait I didnt remove the Adaptec heatsink, I removed the fan from the old heatsink I found and "installed" it on the Adaptec heatsink. I would not remove the Adaptec heatsink if I were you. Just attach a fan to it.

chillath

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
yes i understood that. but i noticed that the origin heatsink is from just metal and not cooper or alumin and this is not very helpfull. And is attached with glue and not a thermal pasta material. i would expect from adaptec something more efeciancy for its products. So i wil try my constraction adn if ti works i will keep it.