Sign in with
Your question

4sticks of memory for am2 board

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2007 7:53:30 PM

I am thinking of purchasing 2 more gigs of ddr 800(it's less that half of what i originally payed for it) for my am2 based system, I know i will have issues with xp-pro, but 2gig for 66 dollars is hard to pass up. My question is will i have a problem using all four memory slots and or will i take a serious performance hit? , My plan is to add these 2 gig and buy 2 gigs for my laptop which is slightly cheaper than buying a 4gig kit. Thanks in advance for your help. On another note, is there a fix for xp-pro to run 4gigs yet?
Related resources
November 14, 2007 8:11:08 PM

there have been rumors that 4gb of ram slows it down but i doubt even if it does it wont be by alot
November 14, 2007 9:57:52 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
there have been rumors that 4gb of ram slows it down but i doubt even if it does it wont be by alot
Does it slow because all slots are used or because of xp pro ?
November 14, 2007 10:07:56 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:

The regular XP can't handle 4GB. In addition 4 sticks of RAM can impact the timings and thus the performance of the system.
November 15, 2007 12:47:01 AM

Slobogob said:
The regular XP can't handle 4GB. In addition 4 sticks of RAM can impact the timings and thus the performance of the system.

That was aminly what i was getting at, i remember the xp systems wouldnt work well with all four slots were filled, didnt know if the same were true of athlon 64 systems. Wilol the slowdown be drastic, and how much will it strain my system?
November 15, 2007 1:31:48 AM

reconviperone1 said:
That was aminly what i was getting at, i remember the xp systems wouldnt work well with all four slots were filled, didnt know if the same were true of athlon 64 systems. Wilol the slowdown be drastic, and how much will it strain my system?

If you need the RAM, get it. I really don't think the performance drop (if any) will be noticable and it will, in the long run, be offset by the added memory. I suggest you use a 64 bit OS though. While i can't speak for you, having installed 4GB and having only, say 3.2 usable by the machine, would bother me to no avail.

November 15, 2007 9:20:10 AM

i agree use a 64-bit o/s if you are using 4gb's of ram and i agree with Slobogob. on that.

just my 2 cents

Brian
November 15, 2007 7:12:43 PM

Slobogob said:
If you need the RAM, get it. I really don't think the performance drop (if any) will be noticable and it will, in the long run, be offset by the added memory. I suggest you use a 64 bit OS though. While i can't speak for you, having installed 4GB and having only, say 3.2 usable by the machine, would bother me to no avail.
I agree, I plan on using vista home premium or ultimate next year on one drive and xp pro on the main drive, since i plan on getting a phenomx4(or q6600, if the phenoms suck to much) and either a 4850 or 8800gt, I want to have everthing covered so i can play my old games and the new ones that are coming out. Plus i wanna do a litting video editing change my vhs to dvd's. Im babbling, but i hope you guys understand what im talking about.

November 15, 2007 10:48:19 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
get the ram leave 1gb out. Simple

I may do that, and install the last stick when i get vista 64 ultimate, or i may leave it in, so what it'll show a half of a gig missing long as it doesnt hurt perfromance, dont want to loose my dual channel advantage by leave on stick out.
!