Overclocking E2160 with G33m DS2R

urgannagru

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hi recntly built a rig with the following:
Antec 2480 NSK
E2160 (replaced cooler with a scythe mini nija)
GA G33m DS2R (F5 Bios)
Geil 2GB C4 PC6400 RAM
8800 GTS

Depsite having such a hot running card in a case with restricted air flow I'm hoping to over clock the CPU ideally up to 3Ghz but I appreciate that may not be possible.
However the biggest problem I'm having at the momment is due to the FSB:DRAM mulitplier being a bit poor with the Mother board CPU combination the best avable at the momment is 3:5 which means I have only got to to 2.4Ghz (266 FSB) and I'm already pushing the RAM up to 440Mhz so I'm loathed to push it any futher no its orthos stable with out pushing the volts beyond stock with a core temp of 55C.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on pushing it futher with out getting some faster RAM, ie. do any of the later bios give more multiplier for FSB 800 CPU's, or is the memmory capable of being pushed alot futher (though the 555Mhz needed to reach 3Ghz with this muliplier seems a little hopeful for me).

Thanks for any advice.

urgannagru

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Unfortunately only have 4.00 (not sure what that is) and 3.00 (3:5) system memory multipliers, from what I gather the bios limits the choices with 800FSB chips, I was wondering if any of the later edition bios offer some more options or if there are ways of getting round it, or if anyone knows how far the memory can be pushed with respectable timings.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
can't help you here, m8... i have the same chip, but don't know a thing about memory timings...

correct me if i'm wrong, though, but isn't it spposed to be possible to get to 3ghz without touching memory timings???

i know mine was able to hit 3 with default memory timings, and my ram's running at ddr-800

urgannagru

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Cheers for help amd_fanboi, i could off reached 3Ghz with a lower memory multiplier which wasn't available.
However for future reference if anyone hass the same problem flashing to a later Bios gives you a muliplier of 2.66 which will let you hit 3Ghz with only clocking your RAM to 450mHz, don't know which is the earlieat bios to do this asI can't find a list of Bios changed but I tired the latest F8 and it worked a treat.

Just to be awkward though going to go off on a tangent and post some new questions :p

Idle: 10mins windows use
776 RPM
32C
23C
-2C*
23C HDD
24C HDD
29C CPU
21C CPU
45C GPU
34C GPU

Load: 20mins ati tool artifact test and orthos
1781 RPM
43C
44C
-2C*
31C HDD
32C HDD
52C CPU
52C CPU
77C GPU
57C GPU

Got these temperatures off speed fan not entirely sure whats what with the excption of those I've labled, they're pretty high as to be expected with using a large graphics card in a small case however the CPU and GPU look like they're in a safe range to me. Just wondering though if it will be safe for me to but a sound card in there at a later day as the graphics card basically cuts the motherboard compartment in 2 because of its length so the air round the PCI slot wont circulaTe so much, are temperatures in the region of 60C (unlikely to reach that temp i reckon but better to over estimate than under estimate) kill off any thing put in the slots below the graphics card?

I have an exhaust fan that could be placed in the slot between the graphics card and the sound cardbut compared to the rest of the components the noise really stand out anyone reckon its worth 7V modding it or would the reduced cooling then make it a waste of space? (It's an Akasa single slot system exhaust for reference).