mike1447

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
i have a custom rig and it has been working fine up until now. I was on my pc surfing the web and transferig some music off my usb stick. The computer was runing fine and my cpu temps were about 30, and 32 C. Then the pc just shut off and i cant turn it back on. When i push the power button it starts to come on and after like 5-10 sec cuts off. I removed the cpu cleaned it reapplied thermal grease and tried two different heatsinks and fans and it sill wouldnt come on. I tried removing the ram sticks and tried each of them seperatly and it still wont come on. Any ideas of why it wont come on. I hope my cpu hasnt shorted out. :fou:

my system specs are as follows:
mobo: evga 680i sli
cpu: q6600 G0
gpu: evga 8800gts
psu: antec trio 550w
ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I could be wrong but it sounds like your MOBO is shorting to the case somewhere did you use the standoffs when you installed the motherboard, or just screw is stragit to the case.

Also check the Motherboard is in stragiht and tight and that one of the edges is contacting the case somewhere.

Not missing any screws are you ? sometimes if one is loose and rattling around in ther it will get caught between the Mobo and the case and casue the same thing.

Other than that I'd suggest obtaining another PSU and seeing if you have the same problem

Break it down to just the board cpu 1 stick of ram and video(no drives or extra cards and devices yet....this also means no extra usb stuff on either...)....see if it will post. if not try the other stick of ram....if still no go, try another psu if you can get one.....

mike1447

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
thx for the help i found the problem after about an hr of messing with it. the power button is defective, im going to look into getting a new one soon. I took it apart and checked everything and nothing would make it come on then i started to tap the power button while i was thinking of what could be wrong with it and it came on. I set my power on to right mouse in the bios but i haven't tested to see if it works. Im just going to keep it in hibernate until i can replace the power button. All that work for a power botton :pfff:. I took everyhting apart reasembled and had to deal with new thermal grease wich i accidently got on my shirt and hands because i was so frustrated. Im to pissed at this pc right now my brain is tired :pt1cable:, i need a nap :sleep: