New Build - AMD allright?

jcksnftsn

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I am getting excited to work on my first build. I am leaning towards going with an AMD MOBO and chip. The advantages seeming to be that they are cheaper options (I am on a fairly tight budget) and more likely to be future proof (hopefully the budget allows for some upgrading down the road). The downside being that AMD seems to be currently behind Intel as far as raw speed goes. I was looking for a little feedback and some suggestions on which way to go with a board.
Thanks

osirisx69

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003
Seems to be the question of the week. If you are budget minded and do not mind just dual core, go with asus m2n series. There a very good boards have a wide range of models to choose from. You can't beat the price for amd stuff nowadays... I think I seen 1 intel cpu go for over 900$!!! Thats almost 2 pc's in amd world

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Look for the Black Editions (6400+ or preferably the 65nm 5000+) as you can get excellent overclocks from them. Check out the various 790 motherboards too (the FX model will likely be too expensive, however). They have features for AMD's new CPUs so if you want to stick in a Phenom or something else in a year or two or three when they're fixed/better/cheaper, you can!

Actually, if you splurge and get the 790FX (MSI one goes for $180ish) then in a year or two you could upgrade to a Quad CPU and add in extra graphics cards over time (up to 4 in total) and that should really extend the life of your system.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

So true... yet so simple. A truly awesome post.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
There is nothing wrong with AMD.These INTEL fanboys just keep hacking at AMD.Yes INTEL C2D is faster compared to a similarily clocked AM2,but in most cases,this is a small margin and not the huge gap everyone wants you to think it is.Sure C2D overclock better,but AMDs Black Edition cpu's with an unlocked multiplier overclock nicely.Suffice to say there is nothing wrong with an AMD system.I run one and I am quite happy with it.Besides,AMD is cheaper.Grinzzzz.Goodluck on your build.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1350
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685

sailer

Splendid
For low cost performance, I think AMD does offer a good platform. An AUS Crosshair mobo, 5000+ Black Edition cpu and 2 gig of ram can turn out a good computer for about $510. You can use a cheaper mobo and get the price down to less than $400 as well. It won't overclock as high as a top Intel, nor turn in the generally good game performance of an Intel, but it will cost less, a lot less if the Intel comparison uses their top end chips. Also, if you want, you can build on the new Phenom FX790 mobo for about $550 and have the ability to upgrade to Phenom, if AMD ever gets the bugs worked out with that chip.

A couple things to think about. I used to have a FX60 machine, which I gave to my son a month ago. When running a compatability test for Crysis, it scored near the top. Really, it was my video card holding me back more than the cpu. Thus a AM2 5000+ Black Edition that's overclocked should do fairly well with Crysis, at least according to the test that was released.

Second, though a lot of people get carried away about how great some of the top Intel machines perform, very few people actually have them. Check out the machine specs that people have and you'll find that the majority are not the latest, highest performing Intels. Its easy to talk about Intel's high performing chips being fast. Its another thing to actually to buy one.

That said, with the Phenom being such a bomb, I'm planning to build an Intel machine. Just waiting for the new graphics cards that Nvidia is supposed to release in Dec, though I might build now and put my old 1900 XTX in it while I wait for the new Nvidia.