AMD 3200 ---> X2 4200 = slow performance

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Hi, I have installed a 939 AMD 4200 Dual Core Manchester on my Abit UL8 motherboard. Since then, I experienced slow performance in every game I play. I have an AGP 7600GT, 2gig RAM and a generic 450 watts power supply. I have installed AMD Dual Core Optimizer but nothing help. I've tried many nVidia driver but the performance is still low. I've reinstalled my old single core 3200+ on my motherboard and everything seem to be back to normal.

I wonder why do I have problem after installing a dual core on my system. Is it because I need a better power supply? a better cpu fan (I feel a big difference, 38 degree on idle with the 3200+ and 51 degree on idle with X2 4200). I have a limited budget I can't take a risk of wasting money.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you got a crappy video card what u expect!

you can ebay a decent card for $100

slow performance has nothing to due with the psu

psu is too small the system shuts down as it heats up typically 15-20mins
your way off

go into task manager and assign the game process to a single core. Ive noticed that this really is a problem with AMD dual core chips (specifically in games using the quake III engine).

Doing this in jedi academy resulted in 2-3x increase in frame rates.

EDIT: and the 7600gt is not a crappy card...it was a sweet midrange card not too long ago.

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I tried to assign the game to one cpu but it didnt help. I had no problem playing call of duty when I had my 3200+ but after installing my X2 4200, I have slow performance no matter what setting.

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I will try to fix the problem with a more powerful power supply. I was thinking getting a 500 watts coolermaster extreme. I've never played 15-20min to see if the system shutdown because I couldnt endure the 50% performance decrease.

Are both cores displaying in task manager?
Do both cores display in your hardware profile?
Does your BIOS correctly set the buss speed and multiplier for the X2 so that it is running the correct speed?
There is no way the X2 will give slower performance, no way, no how, it ain't happening, unless it is not installing and configuring correctly.

Do not spend money on a power supply, this is not the problem in this case.
Quick edit here:
I did some checking and your motherboard may NOT support dual core CPU's without a BIOS update.

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I will check this in a few hour and come back with an answer.
BTW what should be the bus speed and multiplier for a X2 dual core? Now I remember having slow performance on my old pentium 4 2.8ghz when running on win98 to play old games (I had dual boot system at that time) and I had to downclock the speed.

My dual core is a X2 4200 939, 2.2GHz. What setting should it be? I think the bus speed is 800 and mutiplier 200

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I just need to know how does the formula work? This is getting a little confusing with all the number : 200, 800-1000,

In my system propertie in windown, it's written 4200 dual core, so it should be okay.

But I didnt try anything yet...back in 6 hours.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
you installed a dual core chip into a system that thinks there is 1 CPU

your computer knows the Dual core is there but I would be willing to bet that windows does not have a clue ....

do some google work and find out how to install the windows drivers er something - I'd be willing to bet that someone here knows the process already

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
you need to reinstall windows if you change the amount of cores in a PC...like others said windows still thinks that your PC only has 1 core, so its amazing its still working...

try reinstalling windows or googling a way to patch your installation...thats your problem right there :sarcastic:

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You do NOT need to re-install windows!, I didn't, and I went from 3700 to x2 4200. You DO need to apply AMD patch for dual core and the microsoft one. Google is your friend. You do need a better CPU cooler as 4200 uses more power than your old CPU.

Mike.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
format and reinstall windows. It will take no longer than all this running around trying to get things to work.

If the problem still persists after that then there is something else wrong.

Don't just buy stuff because you think you might need it.

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
thank you guy for all the reply :) reinstalling windows seems to be the safest solution I will try it

my full spec is

abit uli8
amd 4200 dual core 939
2gig ram DDR
hard disk ide 120gig
hard disk sata 120 gig
pioneer r-111 dvd-rw
geforce 7600gt 256mb DDR3 agp
generic power supply 450 watts
coolermaster extreme vortex cpu fan
artic silver thermal paste

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007

I installed both patch. None of them fixed my problem. Seems to be related to something else, maybe hardware.

are you running the latest bios for your board? Maybe there was a fix. if you check in the task manager does it look like your bogged? maybe something is messing up and taking all the cpu power from you....

I know that Creative Audigy's software was verrrry slow and lagged even windows explorer(i am picky....it was only a half a second of lag, but well....you know pissed me off) on a dual core system until the software was patched to one core....

To the moron above: AMD doesn't suck, you do. Grow up. These forums are here to help people.

To the point at hand. I forgot to mention that your board may be on the older side and in need of a bios update that one of the other posters recommended.
Probably all you need. No reason to re-format because it still won't work if the right bios isn't in it.

stevechong25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007

I have reinstalled window and the performance are still low :(
I will do as you said : update bios

Sigadigah

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

There is a good chance that it should fix your problem. A lot of s939 boards would only support x2 with a bios update. Flash your bios, then see how it works. I Heard of someone who uninstalled the AMD driver and his system actually worked better, dunno its worth a try.

Did you check to see if cool & quiet is on? Or that the voltage going to the cpu is correct? Did you make sure your ram timings didnt change or anything like that?