Samsung SIR-T165 and Firewire (IEEE-1394)

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 5, 2005 12:27:03 PM

I'm hoping someone can help. I have T165 STB. I had the idea that I
could possibly play my digital camcorder through one of the firewire
ports on this unit. I hooked it up and the STB wouldn't recognize it.

I called Samsung tech support (a surprisingly pleasant experience).
They said that the only devices that would be recognized are those
capable of generating/recording HDTV signals. I thought, ok, that
explains it.

Now, being a computer professional, I understand a considerable amount
pertaining to the technology behind digital signals. Logic tells me
that a digital firewire device is a digital firewire device. So, that
tells me the STB is smart enough to know what it's connecting to.

Does anyone know what these compatible devices are? I'm aware of the
JVC and Mitsubishi DVCRs.

Does anyone have any other insight?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:28:24 AM

In article <307k71prnjm3o77unki8kpanb0ihbe5km5@4ax.com>,
Greg Wilkerson <gregwilkerson@charter.net> wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can help. I have T165 STB. I had the idea that I
> could possibly play my digital camcorder through one of the firewire
> ports on this unit. I hooked it up and the STB wouldn't recognize it.
>
> I called Samsung tech support (a surprisingly pleasant experience).
> They said that the only devices that would be recognized are those
> capable of generating/recording HDTV signals. I thought, ok, that
> explains it.
>
> Now, being a computer professional, I understand a considerable amount
> pertaining to the technology behind digital signals. Logic tells me
> that a digital firewire device is a digital firewire device. So, that
> tells me the STB is smart enough to know what it's connecting to.
>
> Does anyone know what these compatible devices are? I'm aware of the
> JVC and Mitsubishi DVCRs.
>
> Does anyone have any other insight?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg

And the old Panasonic DVCR. It is supposed to work with (I think the
acronym is) AVHDD. It is a special hard drive that the Samsung will
control through the remote for record and playback. I think these may be
available in Japan, but I have never found one in the US.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:31:01 PM

I have read, but not tried, that recording from the SIR-T165 to a PC that is
pretending to be a HD recording device works. I've done this with my HD
cable box (to the PC) and it worked very well.

try the following for info about making your PC look like a HD recording
device:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Jeff Kingsley

!