Hey, this is my first raid setup and I've been struggling to get it setup correctly. Here is what I did (this round):
1. setup the bios for RAID
2. installed Intel raid drivers during Vista installation
3. Created a partition on each drive
4. Installed Vista on the drive in spot 0
5. Used Intel Raid Matrix to create a raid volume (raid 10) from an existing hard drive
6. Added the remaining 3 drives to the volume during installation
Intel Raid Matrix sees the raid and thinks everythings fine. On the other hand, when I view the properties of the drive in windows, it is showing up as having 500 gb free w/ 500 gb used (its a 2TB raid). I'm guessing I screwed something up during the installation?
Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated as I've been struggling with this for the past day or two.
You didn't mention the size of each hard drive. A raid 10 with 4 x 500Gb would have a total size of 1Tb. If you have 500Gb drives your would have to use a RAID 0 to get 2Tb. I wouldn't recommend a RAID 0 if you are looking to protect your data. One failed drive will bring down the whole RAID 0. In RAID 10 both drives in a mirrored set would have to fail to bring down the RAID.