Is an extra gig of RAM really that important?

someone800

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Hi,

I just recently built a new "budget box" computer for around $380. It includes:
AMD Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU
GeForce 7200
1 GB (one stick) of AData(?) 533MHz DDR2 RAM
I don't play games on my system like Crysis, but I do play things such as the Orange Box, UT2004, and I am now downloading the COD4 demo. I see that games use around 200+ MB of RAM usually, so my question is, would an extra gig ($32 value RAM) of RAM really help game/system performace or since it isn't supposidly using the full 1 GB already, do I really need more memory? I've always wondered this, as I don't get the point why people add up to 8/16GB of RAM when I wonder do they really need it.

Thanks! :D

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The amount of RAM you need depends on what you do with the computer. If you run out of RAM the OS needs to use slower virtual memory on the hard drive. You could get by with 1G, but you will probably notice an improvement with 2G.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
adding 1gb of ram to a 1gb setup (total 2gb) won't drastically improve your system performance. But if you do play some of the newer games at a fairly high resolution (1600x1200 and up) you should definitely think of adding the extra 1gb. It will smooth things out in the games with less "hiccups". At that price, it's hard to see why you wouldn't upgrade.

As for the people who use 8 or 16gb of RAM. Those are mainly used in server environments, or for CAD, graphic design, video editing, etc. In those situations, the software used can take advantage of the extra ram, and load entire clips, photos, or effects into ram. This drastically speeds up rendering speed for those applications. In a gaming environment however, that much ram is complete overkill.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
The OP didn't mention what OS he uses... if he's talking about Vista, YES YES YES YES YES! If he's talking about XP, the answer is still yes... the yes just isn't as emphatic. I've seen a single process (BF2.exe) consume right at 1 full GB by itself... so if you're into Battlefield 2... it's a must. Even older games like WoW seem to run a little smoother with it. $32 is less than the cost of a game... why wouldn't you upgrade?

fantastapotamus

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I'm running Crysis on a 4200 x2 with 1GB of RAM, and I'll be installing another 2GB tonight, because 1 just didn't cut it. My pagefile usage shot to something like 1.2GB, and it ran really choppy. Most games don't really NEED 2GB, but it's not terribly expensive. And I have noticed a trend for newer games to use more ram rather than less, so I would expect that in a year or two you would have to do it anyway.

I think that you would get a lot more out of upgrading your video card. Even something like a 1650xt can be had for well under a hundred dollars and should give you better performance, or you could save up for something like an HD3850, which should be a nice low-midrange card. Of course you can throw as much money as you want at it, but if you don't want to spend a lot, then those are my suggestions.

A system cannot use more ram than it has. Just because all is not used does not mean that it wouldn't use more if it was there. Some programs can determine how much it has to work with, so it can use what you have to improve performance. DDR2 ram is such a bargain these days that adding 2gb should be a no-brainer. It can't hurt.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
If you're on XP, open Task Manager, in the Performance Tab, check Commit Charge Peak after doing heavy work. If it is higher than your physical RAM then you need more RAM. if not then it's a waste to upgrade. As for Vista that entry is not there anymore, you should download Process Explorer and check it out.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Loaded Vista 64 on Q6600 machine with Raptor HD.

Started with 1 GB. Vista worked. Actually worked quite well comparted to my ancient XP machine.

Then I loaded 2 GB. OMG, 2 GB was lightyears faster.

4 GB only a slight improvement. Just barely noticable.

Of course that was with basic office applications.

2 GB really is the sweet spot for Vista . And for a lot of users, 2GB may be all they will ever need. Even so, I would plan any upgrade path to allow 4 GB to be installed.

someone800

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Well, thanks for your advice. Turns out I have 667 instead of 533 RAM, but now I have 2GB total RAM and it has gotten rid of some hiccups in the COD4 and Crysis (which runs great at 800x600, low settings) demos.

Thanks for your help! :D