External HD problem "Mft is lost"

laura_alej

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hi there
Well, im having a problem with my external hard drive
It started about 5 days ago, without any notification.
First of all the disk does not stop working unless i plug it out of the supply.Keeps spinning and spinning all the time.
Then it takes about 2minutes for my pc to recognize the drive (when i plug it on usb port) and execute the autorun.
When it gets to work, the system start to throw me warnings like "Delayed write failed", "E:\$Mft can not be written data will get lost..."
and "E:\somefile can not be written data will get lost..." and from that time i cannot access any file of my drive. Next, if i try to open the drive from "My computer" i get "no file type available" style message or "ranvrgn.exe - error"
Has anyone came across with this kind of problem?
Any solution?
Thanks in advance!!!

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
It sounds like you have experienced a delayed write failure. Where the drive gets disconnected for some reason while windows is still trying to write to it. This can corrupt the file system and make the drive not useable. If there is no data on the drive that you need you can go to disk manager and delete the partition on the external disk and re-create it then format. This should make it fresh again.