Help installing XP

When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is going
to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair F3 =
Quit

The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work (the
cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).

Any suggestions or ideas???

Thank You

rod

See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.

tej wrote:
> When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is going
> to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair F3 =
> Quit
>
> The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work (the
> cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).
>
> Any suggestions or ideas???
>
> Thank You

Yes it does it gets to the same screen and the same thing happens.

"Rod" wrote:

> See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.
>
> tej wrote:
> > When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is going
> > to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair F3 =
> > Quit
> >
> > The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work (the
> > cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).
> >
> > Any suggestions or ideas???
> >
> > Thank You

Tej,

Are you using an USB Keyboard? If so it will not work at that point. Plug
in an PS/2 Keyboard and it should work. Ive seen this with mine. and once i
get past that part i can then use my usb keyboard.

"tej" wrote:

> Yes it does it gets to the same screen and the same thing happens.
>
> "Rod" wrote:
>
> > See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.
> >
> > tej wrote:
> > > When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is going
> > > to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair F3 =
> > > Quit
> > >
> > > The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work (the
> > > cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).
> > >
> > > Any suggestions or ideas???
> > >
> > > Thank You

Turn on Legacy USB support in your BIOS and the keyboard should work.
peterk

the problem
"tej" <tej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes it does it gets to the same screen and the same thing happens.
>
> "Rod" wrote:
>
>> See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.
>>
>> tej wrote:
>> > When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is
>> > going
>> > to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair
>> > F3 =
>> > Quit
>> >
>> > The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work
>> > (the
>> > cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).
>> >
>> > Any suggestions or ideas???
>> >
>> > Thank You

Important to note:

don't plug a standard keyboard in with the power running.

"Phrank" <Phrank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tej,
>
> Are you using an USB Keyboard? If so it will not work at that point.
> Plug
> in an PS/2 Keyboard and it should work. Ive seen this with mine. and once
> get past that part i can then use my usb keyboard.
>
> "tej" wrote:
>
>> Yes it does it gets to the same screen and the same thing happens.
>>
>> "Rod" wrote:
>>
>> > See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.

I am not using a USB keyboard I am using a PS/2 just bought a new one today
and the same thing happens

"Phrank" wrote:

> Tej,
>
> Are you using an USB Keyboard? If so it will not work at that point. Plug
> in an PS/2 Keyboard and it should work. Ive seen this with mine. and once i
> get past that part i can then use my usb keyboard.
>
> "tej" wrote:
>
> > Yes it does it gets to the same screen and the same thing happens.
> >
> > "Rod" wrote:
> >
> > > See if the computer will start without the Windows XP CD in the drive.

I am not using a USB keyboard and Legacy USB support is on but still the same
problem any other suggestions???

Thanks
Todd

In message <F1E24C47-3ECA-4D22-A362-268E68841E00@microsoft.com>, Phrank
<Phrank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Tej,
>
> Are you using an USB Keyboard? If so it will not work at that point.
> Plug
> in an PS/2 Keyboard and it should work. Ive seen this with mine. and once
> i get past that part i can then use my usb keyboard.

Or enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS, it may be called "USB Legacy
Support", you may be able to use your USB keyboard to do this.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4

What is your boot order in BIOS? If you left it at CD Drive 1st, after
restart, you have to switch back to your boot drive - c: normally. Of
course, the name of the boot drive should be the name of the hard drive -
the one that's set as primary drive.
Michael

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:31:16 -0700, tej wrote:

> When attempting to install XP my computer restarts like it says it is going
> to and then I end up at a screen that says ENTER = Continue R = Repair F3 =
> Quit
>
> The problem is that when I get to this screen my keyboard will not work (the
> cap lock light go out just before I get to this screen).
>
> Any suggestions or ideas???
>
> Thank You

As long as the system is still getting input from the keyboard, lower case
R will work the same as upper case. Depending on the keyboard, you may have
to press the F-Lock key before pressing the F3 key. On some models it is
necessary to press and hold F-Lock while pressing F3.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

The thing is it doesn't seem that the keyboard is working at all.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:06:01 -0700, tej wrote:

> The thing is it doesn't seem that the keyboard is working at all.

Since you got the same response with a new ps/2 keyboard, it's possible
that the keyboard controller on the motherboard is shot. There are many
fail safes in place to protect against damage from shorts, so it's rare but
can and does happen.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon,
The thing is when I reboot and go back into Win 2000 both keyboards work
fine until I try to install XP again.

Any other suggestions?

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:10:01 -0700, tej wrote:

> Sharon,
> The thing is when I reboot and go back into Win 2000 both keyboards work
> fine until I try to install XP again.
>
> Any other suggestions?

None. Have never seen or head of a problem such as this one.

Okay - a few suggestions:

Do not use any extra software for the keyboard. Use the generic keyboard
drivers provided by Windows. If there is any conflict with driver or
software versions between Win2000 and WinXP, using just the generic drivers
will eliminate it.

If you have a KVM switch in this setup, remove it until you get the
keyboard thing straightened out. Then add it back.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Is your Keyboard a USB by any chance?

Probably it won't work since the drivers for it aren't loaded at that point.
If you can, plug your keyboard into the PS/2 port.