Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Screen freezes up then black screen upon reboot sometimes a red screen How to fi

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 5, 2010 9:14:07 PM

Hello,
My computer screen freezes up after a while, then turns into a blank light blue screen and then into a black screen. I have used regcure, PCMedkit, and PC Doc Pro I have also tried some of the online help for a fee but nothing seem to work. Lately when trying to reboot I got a blank red screen. I'm using xp pro and a Nvida GeForce 9400GT GRAPHICS CARD. hELP!
April 6, 2010 12:15:06 AM

Do you have any indication why its doing this?,did it just start doing it recently?and have you been messing around with anything lately that might have something to do with this?

m
0
l
April 6, 2010 10:24:23 PM

:fou: 
jimb0b said:
Do you have any indication why its doing this?,did it just start doing it recently?and have you been messing around with anything lately that might have something to do with this?


I was just trying to send you a message when BOOM she froze. The message was I was having problems with outlook express 6 not being able to open included links in my email. I visited some online sites for help. Solved the links problem but got this one. Hope someone can help. Gpt to go fast before it freezes up again.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 10:28:08 PM

Sorry I got screwd up on the page. My answer is with your stuff. What the heck-I'm a rookie.
m
0
l
April 7, 2010 8:57:06 PM

You messed around with RegCure. Stay away from registry cleaners. Looks like malware;

1. Use safe mode with networking to download, install, and update Malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan.
2. Do the same with SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html3.
3. Disable your current anti-virus.
4. Download, install, and update Avira Anti-Vir. Do a full system scan to double check. Avira is a real time, live updating AV.

5. Use CCleaner to repair any registry damage.
6. Re-enable your current anti-virus, or if unhappy with it, keep Avira. Don't keep BOTH!


m
0
l

Best solution

April 8, 2010 1:53:06 AM

Hi mastersadsack,

Graywolf is giving you some good advice there and you should definitely follow thru on her advice to help eliminate a software cause for your problem.

From a hardware point of view, an overheating problem in your computer could also cause these symptoms. Check to see if the fan in your power supply and the fan on your CPU are working. There is even often a cooling fan on your video adapter and your model appearantly comes with either a massive heatsink or a cooling fan.

The periodic freezing could be caused by components getting too hot. You'll have to pop the case open to check the fans, just be cafeful not to touch anything inside because you'll have to turn it on to see if the fans are spinning. With all the pretty colors your getting, I am leaning towards the cooling fan on the video card as defective (if graywolf's recommended software scans come up clean).

Cheers!
Share
April 8, 2010 5:54:11 AM

Just looked up PC Medkit and PC Doc Pro, and they're garbage. Uninstall all 3 of those programs, as you might have damaged your system. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove them, not the Windows Add-Remove.

Check the actual temps with Speedfan or HW Monitor. Please get back to us with the results, and we'll narrow it down. Might be 2 problems.
m
0
l
April 9, 2010 2:01:07 AM

Best answer selected by mastersadsack.
m
0
l
April 9, 2010 2:07:12 AM

digitalprospecter said:
Hi mastersadsack,

Graywolf is giving you some good advice there and you should definitely follow thru on her advice to help eliminate a software cause for your problem.

From a hardware point of view, an overheating problem in your computer could also cause these symptoms. Check to see if the fan in your power supply and the fan on your CPU are working. There is even often a cooling fan on your video adapter and your model appearantly comes with either a massive heatsink or a cooling fan.

The periodic freezing could be caused by components getting too hot. You'll have to pop the case open to check the fans, just be cafeful not to touch anything inside because you'll have to turn it on to see if the fans are spinning. With all the pretty colors your getting, I am leaning towards the cooling fan on the video card as defective (if graywolf's recommended software scans come up clean).

Cheers!


mastersadsack said:
Hello,
My computer screen freezes up after a while, then turns into a blank light blue screen and then into a black screen. I have used regcure, PCMedkit, and PC Doc Pro I have also tried some of the online help for a fee but nothing seem to work. Lately when trying to reboot I got a blank red screen. I'm using xp pro and a Nvida GeForce 9400GT GRAPHICS CARD. hELP!

m
0
l
April 9, 2010 6:10:16 PM

graywolf said:
You messed around with RegCure. Stay away from registry cleaners. Looks like malware;

1. Use safe mode with networking to download, install, and update Malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan.
2. Do the same with SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html3.
3. Disable your current anti-virus.
4. Download, install, and update Avira Anti-Vir. Do a full system scan to double check. Avira is a real time, live updating AV.

5. Use CCleaner to repair any registry damage.
6. Re-enable your current anti-virus, or if unhappy with it, keep Avira. Don't keep BOTH!

m
0
l
April 9, 2010 6:17:16 PM

GRAYWOLF,
Thanks for the help. Right now I'm debugging my system. You guys and gals were right on the button.

Ken.
m
0
l
April 10, 2010 1:58:37 AM

Glad to help :)  When you figure it out, choose the BEST ANSWER by clicking the white button.
m
0
l
April 10, 2010 4:05:13 PM

Everything's fine now.
Thanks,
Ken.
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 3:29:02 AM

So it was malware, not overheating?
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 5:00:35 PM

No It was overheating, but I did find lots of trojans and other malware when I debugged the system with the programs you recommended
Thanks again.
Ken.
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 5:06:33 PM

Ken, your alias keeps making me think of that old comic strip with the private sad sack character. <grin>

Those antispyware programs that graywolf recommended are good tools to run periodically on your computer just to practice preventative maintenance and get rid of the unfriendly software buildup before they get a good foothold.

Cheers all!
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 5:19:26 PM

Hit the nail on the head. I was thinking of that old comic strip when I chose my alias.
I agree those programs worked really well for me. Of course I had to dump some stuff that I had already paid for but what the heck.

See ya,
Mastersadsack.
m
0
l
!