stand by and screen saver stopped working

blue_sky_of_rain

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
HI,

I have the annoying probelm with my XP build that the screen saver and the power options (dropping into stand by, turning off monitor and hard disks) stopped working. These are the power features that happen from inactivity that you set in your display settings. These features were working OK before and stopped in the last month or so. The comptuer will go into stand by if you tell it by using the option in start-> shutdown.

From a functional point of view, it seems the timer that controls these stopped working. Or something is constantly resetting them (something active).

I have gone through the microsoft knwoledge base and the forums here in Tom's and I can't find a similar problem reported or any related info.

There are two recent changes to this PC. I recently added an external HDD for back up and that includes the back up software, and I update the catalyst control center and video driver for my ATI card.

In the past, I have noticed if some programs are open (like Itunes) then these power features don't work, but when I close these programs, they work OK. So I have tried closing down all applications running in the background, like disk backup, steam, itunes, etc. This doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this or how I can fix this?

thanks

jim

Intel c2d e6700 OC to 3.2GHz
Asus P5b deluxe mobo
2 GB DDR2-667 ram
ATI x1950 pro graphics card
2 x 300GB HDD (raid 0)

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
In the past, I have noticed if some programs are open (like Itunes) then these power features don't work, but when I close these programs, they work OK. So I have tried closing down all applications running in the background, like disk backup, steam, itunes, etc. This doesn't seem to help.

This almost seems like you have some kind of software that you may be unaware of that is preventing it from going to ScreenSaver. Try running a virus scan and see if there is something malicious on your computer. Also try going into msconfig, click startup, and hit "Disable All". Reboot and see if you can then go into ScreenSaver / Hibernate or whatever.