Sign in with
Your question

Undocumented Beep Sequence on Boot of Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2007 1:33:47 PM

Hi folks. Lots us helpful info here, but I couldn't find anything about my issue.

I have a new, self-built system as follows:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev2.0
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor (stock heat sync/fan)
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
BFG Tech BFGE86256GTOCFE GeForce 8600GT 256MB Video Card
ANTEC ea500 earth watts 500w power supply
Windows Vista Home Premium

I have flashed the BIOS to F8 using the @BIOS utility.
BIOS is at stock settings for memory and cpu speed/voltage.

Okay, here's the problem... on boot, I get the post beep followed by a beep sequence that's something like this:

Short
Long
Long
Really, really, really long (15-20 secs)
After that it's just a series of long (3-5 sec) beeps

The system boots up into Vista just fine, but the series of long beeps continue. I've never let them continue for more than a minute before I restart.

And here's the kicker... it only happens on a cold boot. If I shutdown/restart, it goes away and never comes back until the the next time I cold boot.

Any assistance with this strange issue would be appreciated.
December 2, 2007 1:51:12 AM

The POST error code information provided by the mobo manufacturers is abysmal. The BIOS companies say the manufacturers modify the BIOS to suit there needs so they are not responsible. It's total BS and the big looser is the poor guy trying to diagnose his PC. [/end rant]

That said, these are the only steps, that I know of, that you can take.

Go into BIOS and in Advanced BIOS Features set "Full Screen LOGO show" to disable. This will allow you to see any POST errors that might come up on the display.

Get a StarTech PCI Post Diagnostics Test Card or equivalent. This should display codes for the errors, that you can match up in the included manual. I've never used one but I was thinking of getting one just for grins.

You can look through biosawardpostcode.pdf but in my opinion it is virtually useless.

Maybe someone else can provide more assistance. If you find out the answer, then post back and share it with us. (no pun intended)
December 2, 2007 9:04:48 PM

Zorg, thanks for the response. I did what you recommended and think I have resolved the issue.

The memory check was passing, but there was a significant pause before the IDE device list was displayed. Then the beeping started.

Using PC Wizard 2008, I noticed that my system summary said CD-ROM: 0. When I rebooted, it said CD-ROM: 1.

I've flashed my CD-ROM bios to the latest version (it was only about 2.5 revs behind... lol). After a cold boot, the IDE list showed very quickly (the CD device was listed) and I received no beeps.

I'll post back if this doesn't resolve my issue. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Related resources
December 3, 2007 1:40:41 AM

NevoGamer said:
Zorg, thanks for the response. I did what you recommended and think I have resolved the issue.

The memory check was passing, but there was a significant pause before the IDE device list was displayed. Then the beeping started.

Using PC Wizard 2008, I noticed that my system summary said CD-ROM: 0. When I rebooted, it said CD-ROM: 1.

I've flashed my CD-ROM bios to the latest version (it was only about 2.5 revs behind... lol). After a cold boot, the IDE list showed very quickly (the CD device was listed) and I received no beeps.

I'll post back if this doesn't resolve my issue. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Sweet :bounce: 

December 6, 2007 11:12:39 PM

Well I'm back, with more strangeness to report.

Beeps are back, same as before.

Here's a new twist... this a.m. I got the beeps. Rebooted, beeps went away. PC went into hibernation while I was at work.

Came home and woke PC up, beeps started again (have observed this before). Logged out of Vista. Logged back in and beeps stopped.

I don't know enough about what's happening when to know even where to start with that one. I'm just trying to get a stable system (no Vista jokes please).

Anyone have any ideas?
December 8, 2007 10:46:10 PM

Another guy had same beep problem like yours (stated in another thread). I also had a similar problem and replied to help him after fixing that. Now I again help you and hopefully it worked for you. I have GA-P35-DS3L Mobo & Q6600 CPU, after "trial & error" in BIOS, disabled " CPU Smart Fan Control" and no more beeps. Try it & good luck!
December 8, 2007 11:22:27 PM

The beeps don't sound like a song do they? There is a right up on microsoft where if your bios starts playing songs there is a problem with your power supply seriously not kidding.
December 12, 2007 12:05:42 AM

Hien, that (apparently) was it! I disabled the "CPU Smart Fan Control" and all but one beep has disappeared.

I still get a single long beep when my system sleeps and I wake it up.

Thanks for the help!
December 12, 2007 11:15:49 AM

That is still an issue if you ask me I have a GA-P35-DQ6 and mine doesn't beep ever.
December 19, 2007 9:50:30 PM

I never let Windoze go into suspend/hibernate. IMO they never got it right. Either leave it running or shut it down
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2007 10:31:53 PM

^Agreed. Just turn off the LCD and enable SpeedStep
December 19, 2007 11:07:25 PM

BIOS -> For Smart Fan, Disable Fan Warnings.
December 20, 2007 9:29:19 PM

yes it is a known fact that some gigabyte boards do that. Those beep sounds are the result of the bios checking for the cpu fan activity and it returned a stopped fan signal even tho the heatsink fan does not start to spin until it builds up some heat before doing so. That explains the beeps at start and at wake-up: just let it warm-up it will stop one day...but the best is to disable the feature cause it will do that at every startups.

best
May 1, 2008 5:04:01 AM

Hien Nguyen said:
Another guy had same beep problem like yours (stated in another thread). I also had a similar problem and replied to help him after fixing that. Now I again help you and hopefully it worked for you. I have GA-P35-DS3L Mobo & Q6600 CPU, after "trial & error" in BIOS, disabled " CPU Smart Fan Control" and no more beeps. Try it & good luck!

I have been going CRAZY trying to figure out the beeps on my Gigabyte mobo until I saw this after months of troubleshooting. What makes them insane to track down is the beeps keep changing and there is no pattern to record for diagnosis, so it was a wild goose chase. I was ready to just unplug my PC speaker and ignore them that way since everything still functions fine. I should note I also disabled fan warnings as well and I have 0 beeps now! (I got them on every single boot and wake up without exception)

Also worth mentioning to OP, my entire setup is different components than yours, (including MB) except one - the Antec Earthwatts 500. Just in case there's a connection of some kind...

Hien, I registered just to tell you how thankful I am but I can't thank you enough... I was hearing beeps in my nightmares... :pt1cable: 
!