Whats the diff between 5-5-5-15 RAM and 4-4-4-12 RAM??

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I kno the Diffrence between them is Latency/Speed...but would there be a big difference between those 2? Or are they basically the same???

What would a good Ram Speed be?

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I'm interested in this as well.

Also what's the difference in speed from 800mhz to 667. From what I understand the difference between 5-5-5-15 and lower is not noticable. Just wanted clarification before I buy ram for my new build. Since I don't plan on overclocking.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Well the Frequencies allow you to attain a higher overclockable limit for the RAM...the faster the ram the better the chance of achieving a higher clock.
But What I want to know is that if it's really worth it to overclock ram to different latencies? Like will alt tabbing out of a game be improved or will gaming be improved by loading faster/being able to run processes better in the background....:S

P.S About the 800 vs 667...
I think it the difference also lies in overclockability of your CPU...with 800 you can overclock your CPU higher than with the 667

brownlove

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
You won't notice the difference. Lower latency RAM wins the benchmark race, but makes little difference to the end user. Overclocking is unwise. It is not recommended, and voids the warranties of the parts. And again, you just won't notice that much of a difference. Standard speed parts, will give you great performance, and shoud ensure a stable experience. In general, buy the fastest stable speed of RAM your system will take. If you want to save a few dollars, buy the 667mhz RAM - no problem. You'll have a great experience.