Remove My Pictures, My Music

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I use XP Pro SP1. Everytime I open Windows Explorer, then click My
Documents, I find My Pictures and My Music listed as subfolders. I manually
delete them. Next time I open My Documents, there they are again. Any tips
on how to permanently prevent these 2 items from appearing? Thanks in
advance.

Those are Windows XP system folders which cannot be removed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Frank" wrote:

| I use XP Pro SP1. Everytime I open Windows Explorer, then click My
| Documents, I find My Pictures and My Music listed as subfolders. I manually
| delete them. Next time I open My Documents, there they are again. Any tips
| on how to permanently prevent these 2 items from appearing? Thanks in
| advance.

If you would find it less annoying, you could use TweakUI to move these
folders to a different location where they wouldn't be in your face when you
open My Documents. It's under My Computer, Special Folders. I did this
because my My Pictures folder takes up most of a DVD when I back it up and
then I can put My Documents on another.

Download from here:

PattyL

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use XP Pro SP1. Everytime I open Windows Explorer, then click My
> Documents, I find My Pictures and My Music listed as subfolders. I
> manually
> delete them. Next time I open My Documents, there they are again. Any
> tips
> on how to permanently prevent these 2 items from appearing? Thanks in
> advance.

blackadder

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

> Those are Windows XP system folders which cannot be removed.

Nonsense. You can point both folders to an already existing shell folder --
such as My Documents itself. However it's probably better to point them to
different folders such as %userprofile%\My Music and %userprofile%\My
Pictures. You can even point them to other drives/partitions if you wish (I
have an entire 600GB RAID dedicated to My Music alone -- enough for over
100,000 MP3s).

Tweak UI for Windows XP is the easiest way to change shell folders (under My
Computer\Special Folders) but the folders must exist beforehand (create them
with Explorer first).

Manually editing the registry entries under [HKCU \ software \ microsoft \
windows \ currentversion \ explorer \ user shell folders] is a little more
complicated and requires a logoff/logon to take effect, but the folders
themselves needn't exist beforehand. The entries in this key are of type
REG_EXPAND_SZ if they use environment variables (such as %userprofile%)
otherwise they're of type REG_SZ (in which case the path must be
fully-qualified), but the fully expanded paths will be copied to the "[HKCU
\ .. \ shell folders] key automatically at the next logon, at which time
they will be created and will take effect.

You can then copy the contents of the old folders to the new folders, before
deleting the old folders. Programs that use these shell folders will then be
directed to the new locations.

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Frank" wrote:
>
> | I use XP Pro SP1. Everytime I open Windows Explorer, then click My
> | Documents, I find My Pictures and My Music listed as subfolders. I
> manually
> | delete them. Next time I open My Documents, there they are again. Any
> tips
> | on how to permanently prevent these 2 items from appearing? Thanks in
> | advance.

If you say nonsense to someone you have to be right. Carey didn't say one couldn't move them and Frank didn't ask how to move them. So that makes your post wrong.

"Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message news:dbk08e$qu8$2@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Those are Windows XP system folders which cannot be removed.
>
> Nonsense. You can point both folders to an already existing shell folder --
> such as My Documents itself. However it's probably better to point them to
> different folders such as %userprofile%\My Music and %userprofile%\My
> Pictures. You can even point them to other drives/partitions if you wish (I
> have an entire 600GB RAID dedicated to My Music alone -- enough for over
> 100,000 MP3s).
>
> Tweak UI for Windows XP is the easiest way to change shell folders (under My
> Computer\Special Folders) but the folders must exist beforehand (create them
> with Explorer first).
>
> Manually editing the registry entries under [HKCU \ software \ microsoft \
> windows \ currentversion \ explorer \ user shell folders] is a little more
> complicated and requires a logoff/logon to take effect, but the folders
> themselves needn't exist beforehand. The entries in this key are of type
> REG_EXPAND_SZ if they use environment variables (such as %userprofile%)
> otherwise they're of type REG_SZ (in which case the path must be
> fully-qualified), but the fully expanded paths will be copied to the "[HKCU
> \ .. \ shell folders] key automatically at the next logon, at which time
> they will be created and will take effect.
>
> You can then copy the contents of the old folders to the new folders, before
> deleting the old folders. Programs that use these shell folders will then be
> directed to the new locations.
>

>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Frank" wrote:
>>
>> | I use XP Pro SP1. Everytime I open Windows Explorer, then click My
>> | Documents, I find My Pictures and My Music listed as subfolders. I
>> manually
>> | delete them. Next time I open My Documents, there they are again. Any
>> tips
>> | on how to permanently prevent these 2 items from appearing? Thanks in
>> | advance.

Thank you, David, for your magnificent insight and clarification!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David Candy" wrote:

If you say nonsense to someone you have to be right. Carey didn't say one couldn't move them and Frank didn't ask how to move them.
So that makes your post wrong.

blackadder

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

Carey Frisch said they cannot be removed. Period. THAT was nonsense.
Pointing them to an already existing folder means you don't need to keep
separate folders for them, and can therefore REMOVE them, completely and
entirely. If that makes my post wrong to you, then so be it. You're clearly
beyond my ability to help you. Good day to you.