Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

changing region of dvd burner

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • DVD Burner
  • Burner
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2008 10:33:00 PM

Hi, I was thinking about changing the region of my dvd burner. When I checked the settings, it said that I could only change the region 4 times. Afterwards, I would be stuck with a certain region for good. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? Is there any way to patch the burner so that you can change the region as many times as you want?

More about : changing region dvd burner

July 16, 2008 12:27:08 AM

Is this a stand alone unit or one inside your PC?

I don't think there is a physical difference --- it is only the format in which it "encodes" before it burns.

Let us know what you are using? Is it blue ray?
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 1:11:29 AM

Some manufacturers released firmware updates that allowed all regions, but not all of them did this. There are some hacked firmware files around but they could render the drive useless. I'm sure there are some relatively safe ways of doing it by now, but I wouldn't know of any.
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 1:32:38 AM

I have two burners, and I use one for North America and one for Europe. But then I'm a bit weird, living in Canada and buying videos from Amazon Deutschland.

July 16, 2008 2:29:49 AM

bc4 said:
Is this a stand alone unit or one inside your PC?

I don't think there is a physical difference --- it is only the format in which it "encodes" before it burns.

Let us know what you are using? Is it blue ray?


It's an internal burner in my desktop. It's a Matshita dvd-ram LF-D311 (capable of burning both dvd-ram and dvd-r). This burner came with the desktop when I bought it in 2002. Obviously, it does not have any bluray capabilities.
July 16, 2008 2:30:54 AM

randomizer said:
Some manufacturers released firmware updates that allowed all regions, but not all of them did this. There are some hacked firmware files around but they could render the drive useless. I'm sure there are some relatively safe ways of doing it by now, but I wouldn't know of any.


And where exactly could I get these hacked firmware files?
July 16, 2008 2:32:03 AM

aevm said:
I have two burners, and I use one for North America and one for Europe. But then I'm a bit weird, living in Canada and buying videos from Amazon Deutschland.


Well if you wanted to watch dvds from other regions, couldn't you just make a dvd rip (since that would not have any protection features and could be played in all regions)?
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 2:47:37 AM

mikekazik1 said:
And where exactly could I get these hacked firmware files?

Couldn't tell you. Just look up region-free software or something, I think there's some of that too. Don't know how reliable it is.
a c 352 G Storage
July 16, 2008 3:12:09 AM

I know there is some "Hacked" firmware out there. I have not used it on any of my internal DVD writers, BUT I have used it one 3 of my stand alone units. all three are liteon models. The oldest one is a liteon LV 5001 and the fireware mod removed region and added three hr recording mode. On the newest model the hack didn't work on removing the region restriction, But there may be a newer version. As mike.. pointed out there is software that will change the region code to "0"

Here is a site I go to for info on DVD recorders. Scroll down to hardware and pick your manuf. Try to find (or ask) an problems with a given ver of hacked fireware.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

Added: The liton 9001. I had to replace the DVD drive as the door would not open. I repaced it with a computer internal dvd writer.
July 16, 2008 2:25:04 PM

RetiredChief said:
I know there is some "Hacked" firmware out there. I have not used it on any of my internal DVD writers, BUT I have used it one 3 of my stand alone units. all three are liteon models. The oldest one is a liteon LV 5001 and the fireware mod removed region and added three hr recording mode. On the newest model the hack didn't work on removing the region restriction, But there may be a newer version. As mike.. pointed out there is software that will change the region code to "0"

Here is a site I go to for info on DVD recorders. Scroll down to hardware and pick your manuf. Try to find (or ask) an problems with a given ver of hacked fireware.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

Added: The liton 9001. I had to replace the DVD drive as the door would not open. I repaced it with a computer internal dvd writer.


Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.
July 16, 2008 2:47:12 PM

If you want to watch movies from all reigons, use ANY DVD, it will unlock all reigons on all DvDs.
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 3:09:30 PM

Some models have resetting tools made by 3rd parties to reset the change limit back to 5 and some also have firmware patches to remove the region lock.

July 16, 2008 3:40:45 PM

For dvd's anydvd is a godsend. Its practically the only tool that can deal with region locks, CSS, and structure based corruption *ahem, i mean encryption). Its well worth the price.

However, if your dvd's dont come with any non standard structure, you can go for a free option: dvd43
http://www.dvd43.com/

Not quite all of the features of anydvd, but it does its job (region free and deCSS) :D