Abu Dhabi to pay $622 million for a 8.1% stake in AMD

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2007 12:19:51 PM

Incoming .......
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 12:45:49 PM

Doesn't this deal violate USA's technology export restrictions or something?
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2007 12:53:54 PM

linkage?
November 16, 2007 1:35:02 PM

Sweet. Finally those pesky 3rd world terrorist will get some power efficient hardware to control their rockets/bombs.
November 16, 2007 1:39:47 PM

Well pretty soon AMD will need a Jihad just play with Intel. Oh that's right they have distributed wealth and are extremely rich and not a Jihading nation. A city state owning a company hmm...
November 16, 2007 1:55:22 PM

WTF? Wasn't AMD planning on building in New York? I'm not saying that the the UAE has any connections, but this just sends the wrong message. Oh and does mean that AMD is worth about 7.5b?
November 16, 2007 4:12:58 PM

I do wish this meant somethig good for the stock price, but alas. I also wonder if the SEC will approve all this. Say what they want about the Committee of Foreign Investment not being involved, there are a number of government institutions that can move to block this.
November 16, 2007 4:35:29 PM

Slobogob said:
Sweet. Finally those pesky 3rd world terrorist will get some power efficient hardware to control their rockets/bombs.

haha funny
November 16, 2007 4:36:28 PM

Slobogob said:

By the time AMD delivers Barcey's Iran will have it's own X86 program.
November 16, 2007 4:36:46 PM

If I was Intel, I would post extra security around my manufacturing facilities. Not saying AMD themselves would do something, but you never know about any given Investor.
November 16, 2007 4:39:02 PM

Look how much AMD stock has dropped and how much Nvidia stock has risen; Nvidia buyout of AMD anyone? :D 
November 16, 2007 4:42:26 PM

Heyyou27 said:
Look how much AMD stock has dropped and how much Nvidia stock has risen; Nvidia buyout of AMD anyone? :D 

DAMVIDIANATI ?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 4:59:40 PM

Heyyou27 said:

AMD might improve their stock price if they get more and better partners for the video cards, like nVidia did. Look at these comments for example:
http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=1481980&threadid=1481980&forum=101&product_id=26983&msgcount=7&overclockid=0#msg1481980

And if AMD is in that much trouble and needs government cash, I wish they got it from the governments of the US or Germany. These governments would have to pay some serious unemployment insurance if AMD closes doors, right?
November 16, 2007 5:21:34 PM

cnumartyr said:
By the time AMD delivers Barcey's Iran will have it's own X86 program.

That and all the nuclear reactors they need to power them.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2007 5:33:05 PM

Slobogob said:
That and all the nuclear reactors they need to power them.

Great... We have X86 Programs, Nukes, and Iran in the same thread.... <shudder> :heink: 

For the original news: It's a good business move to secure steady supplies. Chips are made of Silicon, and Silicon is made of SAND :lol: 
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 16, 2007 5:48:00 PM

[:turpit:2] :lol: 
November 16, 2007 5:49:15 PM

WHY!! AMD needs money bad :( 
November 16, 2007 6:25:22 PM

Slobogob said:

Ya and when AMD has to disbale two cores of a quad they can name the next one Taliban to go with Toliman.
November 16, 2007 6:34:32 PM

paq7512 said:
WHY!! AMD needs money bad :( 

You're right! So, when Phenom comes out, get rid of your Intel chip and buy a new Phenom. Might as well buy a new 3870 video card or two, since ATI belongs to AMD. Just think, if everyone on this forum ran out and bought a new AMD Phenom, it would amount to what, a few hundred sales?

OK, enough sarcasm. AMD's problems go far deeper than a few sales to enthusiasts. AMD needs to impress the business market with reasons to buy its chips, and so far, I don't see many. In fact, I haven't seen many Barcelona chips from AMD on sale at all. I think they need to end the NDAs that are plastered everywhere, send out more CPUs to reviewers, and start getting both CPUs and video cards out on the market. Forget the sales talk, supply the goods. As it is, the reputation they've built over the last year and a half is such that I'd trust a used car saleman more. And maybe I should apologize to the used car salesman for comparing him with an AMD executive. And this is from someone who has bought AMD CPUs for the past seven years.
November 16, 2007 6:39:34 PM

So many racists here :sarcastic: 
November 16, 2007 6:58:55 PM

I don't think the UAE has restrictions (any more than Israel, India, etc.). China, Iraq, etc. have restrictions, where as countries like Iran are completely shut off. I think UAE is fine for US trade.
November 16, 2007 8:10:07 PM

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=1000098...

they bought it and it wont be subject to any reviews by any department apparently.

i think its a smart move for both of them seeing that AMD need short term cash flow asap until they can get back a positive margin..now i dont AMD will go broke at worst theres just going to be a heap of company's owning 5-8% of their shares.
!