Sign in with
Your question

Advice on VDroop with Asus P5K

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2008 12:30:37 PM

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Asus P5K, but I've heard it's got bad vdroop (0.1v at load), I wondered if anyone can advise me of how bad this will be to me, taking into account that I'm really aiming for FSB of 333 with an E2160 at 9X multiplier, ~3GHz.

I don't know if that amount of vdroop will have a great affect, so I thought some experienced and more knowledgeable folks could help me with that.
Also I know that there's a reletavely easy mod you can perform to reduce it, but I'm worried about the effect it may have on the warranty etc. Is it at all possible that the mod can cause damage to the board? As far as I know you just take a soft pencil and colour in one of the capacitors or something like that.

Thanks for any help.

More about : advice vdroop asus p5k

March 4, 2008 10:08:42 PM

For such a moderate OC of 3GHz, don't worry about the Vdroop. After all, Vdroop is a good thing, up to a certain extent of course.
March 5, 2008 2:02:54 AM

Who ever said the p5k series has "bad v-droop" doesn't know what they're talking about. The setting: line calibration or voltage damper (depending on what bios version) takes care of v-droop on the p5k's.

Related resources
March 5, 2008 8:02:13 AM

Okay thanks for the advice.

I wasn't sure if that amount of vdroop would be bad or not, and forgot about that voltage damper setting (read about it somewhere).

I think where I read it has bad vdroop, was probably some kind of xtreme oc'er or something saying that, I guess it would be more problematic at higher overclocks, right?
March 5, 2008 12:58:11 PM

There are a lot of people that are getting 3.6 ghz with a q6600 and a p5k on air. So that should tell you something about the board. With decent cooling and a q6600 you can get 3.0 to 3.4 pretty easy.
March 5, 2008 11:46:37 PM

Gots a p5k-e and it nets a vdroop of .02 @ 1.40 in windows. (So the droop is minimal up to that 3.6 or so.) But get beyond it and it does get somewhat larger. @ 1.65v in windows its nears .06 or a tad more or less.
Then again, my 780 i is always .06, and hits .08 or more when I get the voltages up in the higher areas.

Conclusion? VDroop is minimal on the p5k (e) at regular voltages.

--Lupi
March 6, 2008 10:54:48 AM

Cool, I was worried that it would prevent stable overclocks.

As I said my target is ~3GHz with E2160 (on stock air), as far as I know when OC'ing you often have to up the voltage to remain stable at higher clocks, so I thought the decrease in voltage would possibly give me a stability hit.

But you guys don't seem to have problems, so it looks like I'll be okay.

Thanks for the advice.
March 6, 2008 11:16:58 AM

Read the overclocking thred on the forums...
Every chip is different- You may need to up the voltage a little to get 3.0 out of a 2160 but not much. Also upping the frequency will result in temperature climb linearly, so you might want to concider an after market cooler just to be safe.
March 11, 2008 5:51:32 PM

deranged said:
Read the overclocking thred on the forums...
Every chip is different- You may need to up the voltage a little to get 3.0 out of a 2160 but not much. Also upping the frequency will result in temperature climb linearly, so you might want to concider an after market cooler just to be safe.

I know, I've read up plenty of OC advice, I want to get as high as possible on stock cooling, while not going overboard and frying the chip too soon.

Apparently these average ~3GHz so that's what I'm hoping for.
!