Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
  • CD-Rom
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows XP
April 6, 2010 8:04:41 PM

Hello,
I'm doing a fresh install of Windows XP w/ a Service Pack 1 CD. I'm hoping I can find some tips to make it as fast as possible. I have two hard drives. A 250 GB and a 32 GB. I was thinking I could install Windows (& basic Windows apps) on the 32 GB and everything else on the 250 GB. Is this a good idea? And does the 32 GB need to be the Master and the 250 GB the slave? Thanks! Any other ideas would be very much appreciated!

More about : optimal windows install

April 6, 2010 10:22:51 PM

sorry i should have put my pc specs on the post

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ @2.5 ghz
Abit At8 32x mobo
3.5 gb DDR Ram single channel
Radeon HD 4350 w/ 1 GB DDR2
250 GB SATA HDD
32 GB IDE HDD

I dont want to buy anything new. I just want to know if I'll get better performance by installing windows xp to the 32 GB hard drive.
m
l

Best solution

April 7, 2010 4:03:04 AM

I see you're still at it, nicola. You're going to ask the OP to build anew computer? And you're asking him to skip 9 years of security updates? And Panda is free, BTW.

I don't know about speed, but you can put Windows and the program files on either one, strictly from the OS point of view. However, Windows +Program files might be only 10 or 15 GB, and your data would be far more, so it's not rational to put them on a 250 HD. My Windows with all updates +96 programs and utilities, takes up only 6.5 GB.

The HD with the OS must be designated active. Since they're on separate channels, they will both be master on their own channel. However if you have a CD-RW or DVD-RW on the IDE channel, it doesn't matter whether the Data HD is master or slave. It matters only with an OS drive.

After installing the OS, download SP3, which also contains SP2, then all the updates since SP3.

April 7, 2010 3:54:56 PM

Best answer selected by codyw9524.
m
l
!