Sign in with
Your question

Help! Second IDE Disk tries to boot on older PC

Last response: in Storage
July 16, 2008 6:15:04 PM

Help, I have a big problem

I have a PC with two connections for IDE drives. There is one drive in ot with Windows XP installed on. I got another IDE drive from an older computer with Windows 98 installed on it.
At first, when I istalled the Win98 drive the complete PC tried to startup on the 98Drive. I used FDISK to remove Windows 98 from it and it seemed to have worked.
Only.....when I wanted to startup again, the PC still tried to run from the 98Disk (and crashed in DOS).
The PC is an older Compaq and does not give many options in BIOS. There is no option to input the drive from which I want the PC to startup from.
Does anyone know if there is some program, utility or trick to fix this?

Btw. When I startup with only the WinXP disk it works fine.....but when I then turn on the Win98 disk, the system crashes

Please help!

More about : ide disk boot older

July 16, 2008 6:31:58 PM

Try swapping the drives, be sure to note the master/slave strapping.
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 6:47:11 PM

After doing what Zorg said, repartition and format the Win98 disk with Windows XP. Seems like it is still a boot drive.
Related resources
July 16, 2008 7:21:25 PM

True, but it is the BIOS that chooses what disk to try to boot from. So depending on how the BIOS is configured, it will either look for the second disk or give a no OS present warning and just not boot.
a b G Storage
July 16, 2008 7:35:00 PM

You've just reminded me why I build rather than buy computers. The manufacturer simply doesn't want you to have any options.
July 16, 2008 8:46:10 PM

I've tried to swab the drives already, still tries to boot with the wrong one. The BIOS does's give any master/slave options.
July 16, 2008 8:47:34 PM

And I cant format it with WinXP. The PC starts up with only the XP Drive connected but when I connect the powersupply to the other drive, it crashes...
July 16, 2008 9:02:51 PM

Maybe change the jumper settings on the back of the drives to force master/slave? Its been so long since I've meesed with IDE, but if its a 98 era drive it may not do cable select so you'd want to have them configured that way.
July 16, 2008 9:06:04 PM

Yeah, there are no master/slave settings in BIOS they are the straps on the back of the drives.

The BIOS will only tell you which drive is master and which one is slave.
July 17, 2008 7:23:31 PM

I should add, go to the manufacturers site and get the proper strapping/jumpering for the drives, assuming they aren't listed on the drive. The master should be at the end of the ribbon cable and the slave should be in the middle.
July 18, 2008 5:21:01 AM

Guys!! I thank you all for your wise lessons.
I've searched the jumper setting for the drives on the internet and they work fine now.
Thank you all.
July 18, 2008 7:52:51 AM

Glad you got it straightened out.
!