Latest 5th gen STB test

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 5, 2005 8:54:45 PM

Agree with Mark. I would say 4th gen plus. This unit allows upgrades so
I will work with this company tonight to see if they have any tweaks
they can perform. Still very optimistic on this unit. LG is working with
them so no reason that we can't get it to work as well as the first. And
they seem interested in making it work.

Bob Miller

Mark Schubin wrote:

>Bob Miller brought over the latest version (I'm not permitted to say
whose). It was much better than last time (comparable to a good
>4th-generation rather than not as good as a second generation, as the
last one was) but still nothing like the 5th-generation LG.

>With a loop antenna, it seemed to be sensitive to us moving around the
room. With a Silver Sensor, it didn't seem to be, but different antenna
>orientations brought in different stations.
>
>In all of the tests, we could get WNBC-DT, WWOR-DT, and WFUT-DT
solidly. Depending on antenna and orientation, we could also get
>WCBS-DT, WABC-DT, WNYW-DT, WPIX-DT, WXTV-DT, and WNJN-DT solidly. In
one antenna position and orientation, the receiver sniffed WFME-DT, but
>it did not appear to decode anything. I'm not certain that was a DTT
problem. The receiver crashed once, and once wouldn't decode WABC-DT
>audio until the channel was changed and changed back. It's also
possible the station wasn't transmitting any pictures.

>Regarding numbers of channels, WNBC-DT, WNYW-DT, WABC-DT, WWOR-DT, and
WPIX-DT were all multicasting two programs. WNJN-DT was multicasting
six channels. WFME-DT appears to have been multicasting ten channels
(it was the last time we received it, too). So, counting minor
>channels, the receiver sniffed out at least 29 "channels."
>
>Performance degraded the farther the antenna was from the window.
>
>There did not appear to be much of a correlation between the "signal
strength" reading and reliability (except that when we got a signal
strength of zero we got nothing).

>TTFN,
>Mark

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 8:54:46 PM

Why doesn't LG just hand out schematic diagrams of the circuits to make
the chip work to all potential customers? That would make things allot
easier.

IB
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:29:24 PM

Then the manufacturers should just buy LG TVs and take them apart to
see how their circuits are constructed.

IB
May 6, 2005 2:15:39 AM

inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
> Why doesn't LG just hand out schematic diagrams of the circuits to make
> the chip work to all potential customers? That would make things allot
> easier.
>
> IB

Maybe because they have a line of HDTV sets with incredible margins just
being introduced and everyone of them has the best receiver in it that
you can't get anywhere else.

You can't buy any other HDTV and hook up any OTA receiver that will be
as good. It could be worth an extra 500,000 set this year with $500 to
$700 margins or $350,000,000. A lot more than they will make off of $6
royalty payments per STB or HDTV set from their competitors.

And then they can pump some of that back into DC to keep the gravy train
going thru the next midterm election cycle.

BTW a lot of money is reported entering the corrupt political system in
DC on the early end of analog TV side. As I said before there are a lot
of new dogs in this fight and some of them have a lot of money too.

For example in a conversation with Intel operative last week I was told
they will spend "whatever it takes!" with the emphasis.

Bob Miller
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:15:40 AM

From AVS Forum there are reports that the Dvico Fusion HDTV5 has the LG 5th
generation tuner. For those of you that don't know what a Dvico tuner is, it
is a computer solution for HD tuneing.

If the reports are correct the LG tuner is not as hard to come by as some
would suggest. It stands to reason that the distribution of this tuner is
beginning.

> inkyblacks@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Why doesn't LG just hand out schematic diagrams of the circuits to make
>> the chip work to all potential customers? That would make things allot
>> easier.
>>
>> IB
>>
> Maybe because they have a line of HDTV sets with incredible margins just
> being introduced and everyone of them has the best receiver in it that you
> can't get anywhere else.
>
> You can't buy any other HDTV and hook up any OTA receiver that will be as
> good. It could be worth an extra 500,000 set this year with $500 to $700
> margins or $350,000,000. A lot more than they will make off of $6 royalty
> payments per STB or HDTV set from their competitors.
>
> And then they can pump some of that back into DC to keep the gravy train
> going thru the next midterm election cycle.
>
> BTW a lot of money is reported entering the corrupt political system in DC
> on the early end of analog TV side. As I said before there are a lot of
> new dogs in this fight and some of them have a lot of money too.
>
> For example in a conversation with Intel operative last week I was told
> they will spend "whatever it takes!" with the emphasis.
>
> Bob Miller
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:57:16 AM

Bob, I'm confused. I thought that you have been saying that LG is getting
out of the OTA STB business because there isn't any money in it (at least
for 8VSB boxes in the USA). Yet, now you are saying that their television
set sales will be much better (an extra half million) because of their
superior OTA receiver.

Is it that OTA is important and Congress will be lynched if they pull the
plug on analog too soon, or is it that OTA isn't important, and nobody wants
to use an antenna anymore to receive TV programming? Is it that OTA is a
money loser and nobody can make any money including 8VSB receivers in their
televisions, or LG will get rich because their sets have "...the best
receiver in it that you can't get anywhere else"?

Phil

!