Need Help With Home Network

Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home SP1,
using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both machines
and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the desktop
sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it. The
laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.

Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.

Thanks in advance,
Cooter

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have two systems: one with XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates the other with XP
Home and SP2 and all updates. I use a Linksys BEFSR41 v3 to connect them to
each other and to a cable modem.

If I start the Pro system first then the Home system they both can get on
the net and do whatever I want but they cannot see each other at all; no
matter what I try.

If I start the Home system first then Pro they each can see the other and
files can be transfered. Why it works this way - I have no idea. (If I have
to reboot the Home system the connection is lost. Why? Who knows?) But, at
least, I can get them networked.

"Cooter" wrote:

> Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home SP1,
> using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both machines
> and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the desktop
> sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it. The
> laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
> dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
> troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cooter
>

> I had a similar problem. ACCESS DENIED.

Try this if it dont work you can always put it back as it was

START/RUN/regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the
problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back if
you like.

Background: RestrictAnonymous controls whether null sessions, sessions that
work without any authentication and use the permissions of the groups
Everyone and NETWORK, are allowed (value 0) or disallowed (value 1). The
value 2 is obsolete for Windows XP.

Don't mistake this for the value named restrictanonymoussam, which controls
null session SAM account name listings.

"Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
> Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home
> SP1,
> using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both machines
> and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the desktop
> sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it.
> The
> laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
> dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
> troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cooter

Make sure your firewall is allowing access.
Have the same user and password on both computers.

Do you get some specific error message when you try to access the folder?
That information might be useful.

Start>all programs>accessories>communications>network setup wizard. Run it
on both.

"Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
> Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home
> SP1,
> using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both machines
> and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the desktop
> sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it.
> The
> laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
> dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
> troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cooter

Thanks David
I had been getting the not allowed message on my network for the past
month....when I switched one machine from fat32 to ntfs.Your regedit worked
nicely and all 3 machines can now access each other.
thanks again
peterk

the problem

Cooter wrote:
> Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home SP1,
> using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both machines
> and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the desktop
> sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it. The
> laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
> dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
> troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cooter

On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
is disabled on the internal LAN connection.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Hi David,

This has solved a problem that I've been wrestling with for six months.
Neither the Microsoft site nor anyone else on the Web could help me. I
really think your solution needs wider exposure and I'd like to put it up on
my web site with your permission.

Many thanks,

Jon.

"david2505" <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Cooter" wrote:
>
>> Just finished networking a desktop and laptop, both running WinXP Home
>> SP1,
>> using a Linksys wired router. I can access the internet with both
>> machines
>> and everything says everything is working correctly. HOWEVER - the
>> desktop
>> sees the laptop (reports the computer name) but won't let me access it.
>> The
>> laptop does not see the desktop machine. I have enabled file sharing on a
>> dedicated folder on each machine and have gone through all the
>> troubleshooting steps that seem to apply.
>>
>> Anyone have any good ideas? I'm in bad need of at least one.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Cooter
>>

>> I had a similar problem. ACCESS DENIED.
>
> Try this if it dont work you can always put it back as it was
>
> START/RUN/regedit
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> \SYSTEM
> \CurrentControlSet
> \Control
> \Lsa
> Value name: RestrictAnonymous
> Value type: DWORD
>
> If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the
> problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back
> if
> you like.
>
> Background: RestrictAnonymous controls whether null sessions, sessions
> that
> work without any authentication and use the permissions of the groups
> Everyone and NETWORK, are allowed (value 0) or disallowed (value 1). The
> value 2 is obsolete for Windows XP.
>
> Don't mistake this for the value named restrictanonymoussam, which
> controls
> null session SAM account name listings.

TRENDING THREADS