rufio45

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Hello, I didn't know where to post this but it seems that here is the best place.

This is only my second post, after deciding that my Dell D9100 is kinda old for my new evga 8800GT KO (w00t shipped and gets here 11/14) I'm going to try to build a PC on my own, I live in mexico and prices/quality of stuff here is awefull (any C2D is 100 bucks more expensive than something bought in USA), so my only choice is to go to USA, 2hr drive but theres only a Best Buy and a CompUSA on the city I'm going to, and I've noticed you guys buy a lot from websites and Fry's (I've been to Austin's Fry's but that's way too far from here) so it seems my only choice is CompUSA, is it a good company? good quality/price? Would like some feedback if you have time :D

Also is there any forums on how to actually build (connect and stuff) a PC from zero? I'm a software developer (web) so I DO know stuff about computers, I just don't want to f*** up and end up frying my mobo or my sweet 8800GT.

Thank you for your answers in advance :D

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well CompUSA sucks. I don't know of any other way to put it. However, the reasoning in which is sucks for Americans is price. You can get a way better deal at newegg. I would check out the website. www.newegg.com and even call them to see if they do international shipping especially in your case. Hell the shipping charge will be negated anyway considering the markup on the compusa stuff. Not to mention they don't always have the best stuff. Like many retail stores it is struggling to keep up with the internet warehouses like newegg so they end up buying generic stuff and stamping their names on it so they can have a high gross margin.

Anyhow, you should be able to find guides here which is where I did my first one from with a little bit of previous knowledge. Trust me even if you fry your components and have them smoldering in a burnt heap they will still at that point be better than your dell. :p DELL SUCKS too.

Anyways bro good luck y hasta luego.

Ciao

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
The selection isn't great but its loads better than any Best Buy and will be a bit cheaper as well. Still it will be a lot more costly than going to newegg. If you have to pick one go CompUSA because its more focused on the parts you'll have an easier time finding what you want that is close to stuff you have online for only an arm instead of an arm and a leg. :)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
CompUSA sucks.
Even before stores where closing, I didn't find a huge difference between CompUSA and BestBuy, for example. (both sell sucky video cards and have no programming books). Forget about finding Visual Studio, SQL Server, 3D Studio, AutoCad, etc.
I wanted CompUSA to be a computer store for computer professionals that know what they want. Kind of a mail-order store you can walk in.
I don't know why someone doesn't make a warehouse type computer store to get things like programming books, water coolers, good high-end video cards, Blade rack-mounted servers, etc..

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
They are not too bad. When the 6800GT came out I bought it there, when newegg was out of stock, for almost the same price. I have also bought some memory sticks there in the past and have had no problem with them.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I would check to see if you have a Micro Center near you. They are way ahead of best buy and circuit city and seem to be priced very competitive with newegg.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I think it depends what you need. They closed all of them around where I live but I use to go there all through the 90's till they closed. I usally got software and parts like case fans, artic silver, PC wire assemblies and other stuff. I even got my Plasma TV table there and my last monitor. All i got now is a micro center. Sometimes you can't wait for mail order.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I suggest to check Fry's too. They have very good prices, sometimes even cheaper than newegg, and their service is excellent.

rufio45

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
# Does Newegg.com ship internationally?
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.
:(

I love newegg, I use it when I want to buy something down here in Mexico, the stores have no reviews or anything, or pictures of the stuff, just f'ing name and price so I use newegg to read reviews and check complete specks and such. Too bad they don't ship here.

It seems you guys hate CompUSA cuz of the price, but... if a proc is going to cost me $10 more in compusa than in newegg thats not so bad for me, considering it would cost $100 more here... or sometimes even more, and I plan on spending black friday over there anyway so I just wanted to know if it's not INCREDIBLY awefull, I'm looking to spend no more than 900 bucks, but i already have a 22' lcd (don't actually have it but it'll be my xmas gift from my gf :D)
and i already bought the 8800GT, i should be able to get some nice stuff, shouldn't i?

@ spaztic7 There is no Micro Center btw, :( I'm going to McAllen Texas, the only Micro Centers in Texas are in Houston and Dallas and that's pretty far :(

@ enewmen Wouldn't that be a dream store? It's funny because there's so many IT people now, it should be obvious that we need a good professional store, all the books i get for programming are freaking e-books :fou:

Thx for the answers btw, really nice of you.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I bout an AMD cpu from CompUSA and was told by the cashier that I could not return the cpu if its bad I would have to contact AMD.That was the last time that I went to CompUSA to buy Important stuff for a pc.You should call to see if thats still the case.It seems like the bset price or stuff are here in the US.Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS