45nm 3GHz Core2 Duo with a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B overkill?

I read with interest on Toms that the new 45nm 3Ghz Core2 Duo runs quite cool. I'm planning to get one and perhaps push it up towards 3.6-3.8GHz.

I'm really interested in quietness though and wondered whether anyone thought the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B be overkill for this cooler cpu or still appropriate, and ultimately whether I'd get away with fanless whilst still o/cing :)
10 answers Last reply
More about 45nm 3ghz core2 scythe ninja overkill
  1. At 3.8GHz, it won't be a overkill. It'll be real cool, but that just means more OCing head room.
  2. You can run it without a fan if you are running with stock cooling.

You can push it as high as 4.2mhz with that cooler.
  3. Yeah, you can run 4.2MHz without a cooler even. ;)
  4. that is definately a great choice for a quiet cooler and if you want you can use a push/ pull configuraton which would lower temps even more, enabling you to lower your fan speed
  5. Evilonigiri said:
    Yeah, you can run 4.2MHz without a cooler even. ;)

or just. . . . like. . . . watch it burn in hell without a cooler. .
    yeye, i know what you mean. . That processor overclocks damn well! :D
  6. it sounds like you want to buy it, so, what the heck.

plus, it's good for the economy. you'd be doing your
    patriotic duty, according to Pres. Bush.
  7. Moondrinker said:
    or just. . . . like. . . . watch it burn in hell without a cooler. .
    yeye, i know what you mean. . That processor overclocks damn well! :D

No, you missed the point. 4.2MHz vs 4.2GHz, there's a huge difference there.
  8. my e3110 isnt that cool at all..
    50/49 idle....
    everything stock..!!
    i hear ppl are having some problems with the e8400.... cooling wise... some run extreamly hot....
  9. wah_gwan said:
    my e3110 isnt that cool at all..
    50/49 idle....
    everything stock..!!
    i hear ppl are having some problems with the e8400.... cooling wise... some run extreamly hot....

I believe there has been some batch where the temperature diode simply does not work. I recall someone stated in the BIOS the temperature was being reported at 222C which is over twice the temperature at which water boils.
  10. The Scythe Ninja Plus is a very quiet HSF even with the fan. Is it overkill? I don't think so especially when it can be bought for something like $26 after a $10 mail-in rebate.

I recall paying about $40 - $45 for mine about 2 years ago.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking