arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Well,

I can only feel like Mr. Slave feels in trying to diagnose this problem in that it isn't killing me, but definitely bothersome.

My system has been great with no problems, and as a whole I've not ever had any problems with my CD rom ( Pioneer DVR-215DBK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129020 ).

Also, I check my event logs very frequently. I installed Nero 8 (yes I know, it is teh suck compared to older versions but I'm on Vista) and when I burn audio CD's, I get like 5-10 errors in the System event log, all the same, reading:

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

Now, when I play the CD's, there is no problem that I can tell at least - and Nero didn't report any errors that I saw (though maybe there is a log I need to check?).

Also, I think it tries to burn at 40x by default.

So is there a general cause for this or one that I could follow up with?

Burn at slower speed?

Nero 8 issue?

Any other variables to consider?

Is it Mr. Hat?

*Jesus Christ*

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Well, here is something wierd...

I decided to isolate some variables rather than asking you guys blindly.

Well, I think it must be Nero 8. Or at least it definitely helps with it because I launched Nero Express, went in to burn an audio CD, and it's sitting there with the window waiting for me to drag files.

My CD player is not doing anything for last 15-20 minutes and there is already 7 errors in there.

One was in there as soon as I launched the application. Then when I went into settings, it seems it put 4 in there all in the same second according to the times.

So it seems as if this is causing the errors without even burning anything. So they must be real errors but maybe false positives? I just don't get it.

Now obviously one way to test things is to get another burner, install it, and check. But I rather not install something else.

Maybe this is a wierd side effect of Nero 8 but does not hurt the burn at all?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
If you "picked that up in a back alley" than by the magical powers of internet nero found out and instead of directly telling you "hey, umm, what, what'cha doooin there big guy?" it will make the program effectively unuseable. I "cant" tell you for sure, since I "bought" my version "from a friend" but I can tell you that my copy has been crippled by nero's DRM, so uninstall it and get an older version (6.0 is just fine).

I can't burn more than one dvd/cd without having to restart computer and try again, so I just use other programs "TMPGEnc" is great for burning stuff since it has its own utility for burning, it also converts your movies you "found on the street" into dvd's so you can play them on regular dvd players.

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Well I bought it OEM from Software Discount whatever (popular site that has been around for years) and I got my last two versions from there so it is not a torrented version, etc.

I just used the control center to get updates and I registered this as well so it's legit, albeit an OEM.

Also, as I mentioned, I can burn multiple CD's in a row and they don't seem to have any issues that I can tell. Other than these errors showing up in event logs.

I'm not sure if I've burned a data CD at all. And for the record, I LOVE Nero 7 but I've tried installing it twice in Vista and it simply doesn't work. At least not for me and my config.

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Ok, well - I guess I fixed my own problem. This is one of those nublet things we all do once in a while...right?

I went into Nero 8 Tools folder and launched their control center, updated the only two items I installed (basically the most barebones Nero 8 install you can have for core services and those 2 programs STILL take up over 100 meg)...

...once updated, the problems seems to have gone away. Burned a couple CD's and not a single error.

So I guess for any of you Nero 8 users, especially OEM versions (I bought my last 3 copies for $2.99 online), make sure to update it as these might be some old coasters...!

*Jesus Christ*

I shall assume position #7.

BTW, it also seems to burn much fast now. Go figure... :p