April 7, 2010 3:16:18 AM

First of all, my current system.

OCZ 650 Watt PSU
AMD Phenom x4 9600 @ 2.3GHz
ASUS M3n72-d Motherboard
4gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 memory
2, 320gb sata HDD in RAID 0 configuration
ATI 5770 Xtreme edition video card
Dual boot with XP pro SP2 32 bit and Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

I've been reading countless pages of information on this error, but haven't found much for a fix. I've received this error and a few others which I will list shortly. My personal problem starts as follows.

Games I currently play:
Secondlife
Call of duty 4
Grand Theft Auto 4
Requim

The only game I can play without error is Secondlife, the other three will crash with the IRQL not less or equal error, or just a program has quit responding error. The time it takes for an error varies from 15 minutes to about an hour and a half. No crashes at all on windows 7

Everything but the CPU and Motherboard I just put together approximately 2 weeks ago. I've read the cause could be anything between hardware, to a windows problem, faulty raid drivers to bad ati drivers.

Here's what I've done so far:

Uninstalling and reinstalling ATI drivers, tried older versions of ATI drivers, downloaded and installed microsoft KB900485 and KB920872 updates.

Other errors:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e) (received three times)
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) (received twice)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) (received twice)
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)

Please, any help what so ever is appreciated. Reply to this or email me at mattbm2001@gmail.com
I can send the crashdumps if needed or a dxdiag. If any additional information is needed please contact me.

More about : irql equal

April 7, 2010 6:55:11 AM

UPDATE:

Installed .netframework 3.5 instead of 3.0, installed SP3, no difference what so ever. Checked temps, warm, but not exceeding 140 F on the CPU and 135 on the GPU, MB temp 98. Ordered new CPU heatsink because I'm uncomfortable with 140 F.
m
l
April 7, 2010 7:19:34 AM

get CCleaner & scan for registry errors.. it may help..
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2010 9:22:34 AM

Thank you for the advice, I did download and run CCleaner, it did find a few thing's, but only from programs I've uninstalled. My problem still persists, but I really appreciate the reply and the good piece of software to add to my collection.
m
l
April 7, 2010 10:00:28 PM

Try running in safe mode to see if the errors follow you there.

It's most likely software related, as the hardware functions fine in windows 7.
m
l
April 9, 2010 5:01:08 AM

Well well well.... Now the problems have followed me to windows 7. I installed farcry2, played for a couple minutes, bsod, same ol save dump. Still cannot figure out this problem, I am beginning to think it is hard ware related.
m
l
April 9, 2010 5:57:02 AM

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I think that all of these other errors in
conjunction with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e) will prove out to be either a bad motherboard or a bad video card (RAM on the video card to be exact).

You should be able to prove/disprove the video card as defective by removing it and running off your onboard GeForce 8200. If the errors go away, the ATI card is defective.

Try that out and then let us all know the results.

Cheers!
m
l
April 9, 2010 11:18:48 AM

I really hate to do it, but I guess I will be reinstalling my old ATI 3850, running it for a while, and seeing what happens.
m
l
April 9, 2010 1:43:36 PM

IRQL not less or equal to, same stupid error, this time with my ATI 3850 video card installed. Maybe motherboard or my OCZ memory is bad?
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:02:10 PM

Darn. Bad video card would have been preferrable to bad motherboard. Might be just a bad slot on the mainboard using video ram access errors.

Doesn't your board have integrated video onboard? When I looked the specs up, it stated a GeForce 8200 built-in. If it does, lets try using that to eliminate a bad mobo slot. Even an old PCI video card would do the trick for testing purposes!
m
l

Best solution

April 9, 2010 11:09:06 PM

OK i was taking a look through the forums just reading stuff and came across this. Aford10 and digitalprospecter have been helping me as well and sounds like a few similar issues. So in an effort to help them out please read a few of their posts in my forum post. It is relating to diagnosing techniques so they wouldnt have to retype them here and just let them know which ones you did. Thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246345-45-multiple-bs...

EDIT: it also gives a picture for you to help with looking at possible bad capacitors.
April 10, 2010 3:09:54 AM

Okay, I read your post and found some good information there. Thank you greatly. I am on to memory testing, I have 4gb of DDR2 1066 OCZ Reaper memory, 2x2048mb. I removed one 2048 mb memory module, and GTA 4 ran flawlessly. Apparently the memory is faulty, but to be sure, I am going to remove the one 2048 module in my computer right now, replace it with the one I removed earlier, and test it again. Hopefully this will decide finally if it's the memory module, or a problem with the motherboard, obviously the board is alright with one module, so possibly a bad memory slot, a problem running 4gb of memory, or who knows. Will post back with more information.

While I wrote this I also thought, maybe it is a Power supply problem, and maybe that one extra module makes the difference, what do you all think the chances of that are?
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:26:10 AM

The amount of memory shouldn't be a problem. A bad RAM chip would cause some errors.
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:36:06 AM

Thanks for posting your thread Jason. It certainly helped fast track the process here! Matt, I think you have found your problem.

Let us know what you find out in the end, but I don't feel that it will be the power supply. Likely just the one bad memory module, though a defective socket isn't out of the scope or possibilities. If the other RAM module works properly in the first slot, then you will have to consider a bad socket or check your mobo manual for proper pairings and positioning for your memory modules.

Oh and throw the Best Answer Award Jasons way if you find this is the solution

Cheers all!
m
l
April 10, 2010 4:10:09 AM

Will do! Well after about an hour and a half of GTA, normally plenty of time for a crash, no problems what so ever. The memory pairings and positioning were correct, so now I'm looking at a bad slot on the board. What a bummer, it's less then one year old. I will however try putting both modules back in the motherboard and maybe, it just needed to be reseated. I am currently attending schooling for IT, going for my MCSE, currently A+ Certified and working on my MCP, it really bothered me I couldn't figure this out sooner. I will keep my results posted, and hopefully I can get lucky and have it all work right, if not, I may just upgrade my phenom X4 9600 to a nice Core i7.
m
l
April 10, 2010 4:21:12 AM

Did you run memtest? Any errors?
m
l
April 10, 2010 6:33:35 AM

No I never bothered with memtest, I figure recreate the scenario that caused the crash, and fix it. In my case, any game that ran, crashed after about an hour. So thats been my testing, gaming, which I must admit is probably the most fun I've had testing anything. Again with the earlier removed memory module in there alone, no crashes yet, I've played GTA and Left 4 dead, no problems what so ever. So far it appears to be a faulty slot on my motherboard. I'm going to take my computer down after this post, blow it out with compressed air, without the memory in it to insure it will have a good connection, reinstall both memory modules, and back to gaming... I mean testing.
m
l
April 10, 2010 11:00:27 AM

Well, I installed both modules, this time in b1 and b2 slots, I know the motherboard book says they should go in A slots, but I figured if I am trying to diagnose a bad slot, try it. It boots, and runs, going to do more testing and see what happens. May buy the core i5 or core i7 set up anyway though :D 
m
l
April 10, 2010 11:36:14 PM

Good to hear! Good luck with your studies as well.

Cheers!
m
l
April 11, 2010 1:13:43 PM

Still no crashing, all is up and running fine, enjoying my weekend from school by gaming, not a single crash. Thank you to all who helped aid me in my research, if it weren't for you I would still be very frustrated.
m
l
April 11, 2010 1:14:26 PM

Best answer selected by mattm89.
m
l
April 11, 2010 10:39:45 PM

I've been reading this. We have real teamwork at this forum. And it's great that jason pitched in to help. :) 
m
l
April 12, 2010 5:56:25 AM

I agree one hundred percent! I really appreciate every ones help, and hope my knowledge may be of some use later on.
m
l
April 12, 2010 8:25:46 AM

You can return the help by choosing one Q in the list to answer.
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:49:33 AM

I would have to say thank you for choosing my answer as the best answer. I give the credit to aford10 and digitalprospecter. But thanks again.
m
l
!