Hey guyz could u plz look over my specs for a new build

Desi_kaur

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Hi guyz

Iv been reading up on building your own computers for awhile now and have finally plucked up the courage and the cash to build one. If you guys could just look over the specs id be grateful.

I enjoy playing my games not extreme but top end new stuff and want to have something that copes with good online gaming too, as well as this I do some mild editing so need good storage, and that’s Photoshop and final cut pro. I also need to store some important stuff as have a home online business too.

OK so my specs are:

GRAPICS CARD: I want to get this one and plan to double it in about nex year
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (512-P2-E801-AR)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 "LGA775 Conroe" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

HD: Western Digital RAID Edition 320GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD3200YS)

OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer DVR-212D 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter

MEMORY: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB

MOBO: EVGA nForce 680i SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

CASE: Either the silent
Antec Sonata III Piano Black Quiet Case - EarthWatts 500W PSU

I just love the top mounted ports and iv read that psu’s that are in towers aren’t as god as external.
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU

MONITER: Samsung 20" Widescreen LCD

TOTAL: £1100ish

I want to build a computer that lasts me at least two years before I have to upgrade.

Any feed back or money saving tips is appreciated :)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Thats a great build, I'd go with the E6850 because games don't require quad cores yet. When games finally do start using quads it will be time to upgrade your hole computer by then. That 8800GT 512MB card is almost a powerful as a 8800 GTX and if you run two in SLI then thats good and a cheap upgrade at under $300 per card. Get one now and then wait till demand/prices drop after the holiday season. With the rig you put together you should have no problem running Crysis.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I just love the top mounted ports and iv read that psu’s that are in towers aren’t as god as external.

That's generally true, but the Antec EarthWatts 500 gets good reviews.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=51
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article684-page1.html

Those wors of warning refer to the psu that shipped with my $40 case+psu. (which I still use and hasn't caught anything on fire yet)

Desi_kaur

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
thanx alot for your help , i decided on the sonata.

Just one last thing tho i was about to buy my rig when somebody suggested that i have no need to for the 680i as im not extreme gaming and a good and cheaper alternative is:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard

Hmmmm i confused now is it worth spending that extra 80/90 gbp
Is it really a good choice as a futureproof for my gpu or should i just buy a new gpu when i upgrade and buy a p35 now???

Ahhhhhhhh

Please help

G

SLI is pretty useless, even with 2 8800GTs. Go with a P35 board. Don't bother with a DDR2/3 board yet, they're not very good. Save yourself money and get teh Gigabyte P35-DS3R instead. Its a much better board and $30 cheaper.

Desi_kaur

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
ok after an few hours of looking around i suppose i probaly go for the

Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

hmmmnot sure but i think its one of te best p35

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi guyz,

TO deuce 271: your completly right with the p35c, it's a pain. I have one in a new pc a build for a friend. It's almost impossible to oc. I tried everything.

go with the P35 it's a better reliable mobo and stay with Gigabyte they got good reviews...

To myself : Damn... why I don't follow my own advice ;-)

bye

sorry english is not my forst langage

AnOniM

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Same PC as I am building..Go with the Samsung instead of Pioneer..Thats about it..Good case, I'm proud of it..Super PSU, simple yet stylish design..Very cool as a whole...Go with the D35R..it's a good mobo and was voted "Best OC mainboard" by a couple of magazines..Quad is just not doing it right now..Expensive and still very undeveloped..Go with the E6850..You can OC no problem to a comfy 3,5..With the stock cooling..Even more if you invest in a new fan, a heatsink, etc..

Desi_kaur

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Hi
Thanx for the feedback
i changed my pioneer to samsung earlier :)
i wont really be over clocking much so wats there is good for me the only thing now is that darn mobo

the d35r dosnt have firewire which i need...

So my choice now is the 1p35 pro or either the gigabyte ds3p/ds3r...

im still trecking on as i want to order my parts by the end of the week :)

Oh and its a relief to see someone else with the same specs especially on a grand build.

r u using the d35r?

Desi_kaur

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
ok iv just realised my graphics card is gddr3? and iv chosen 1p35 pro mobo is it ok to run on a ddr2 mobo? and as my ram is now OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) ddr2, will that work?

Get the GA-P35-DS3P, it has Firewire.

I'd also recommend an Antec 900 case, because the 8800GT needs a case with excellent cooling.

Don't worry about the GDDR3 on the 8800GT, that has nothing to do with the motherboard. The 8800GT works fine with DDR2 memory and any P35 motherboard.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

I don't know where you get this idea but you can certainly OC with the P35C. I'll admit, it has some voltage regulation problem but not serious enough to disallow you OC, look at my sig. It was very easy to do so.